What causes fluttering sensations in the stomach while sitting or exhaling?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have fluttering in
My upper stomach while sitting. Don't notice while standing. It appears worse when I breath out. Does not hurt just flutters
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Your symptoms are not typical of any cardiac disorders.

Gastro-esophageal reflux could mimic such clinical situation. In such case the flutter would be exacerbated by bending over. Is this your case?

Coming to this point, I would first recommend trying an antiacid or PPI (omeprazole, pantoprazole, etc.).

Anxiety could also trigger this clinical situation.

Anyway, there is nothing to worry about!

If this feeling persists, I recommend consulting with your attending physician for a careful physical exam and some tests:

- complete blood count
- thyroid hormone levels
- fasting glucose
- blood electrolytes
- a resting ECG.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 minutes later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to have been helpful to you!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri