Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Delayed periods, bleeding dark blood, abdominal cramps, back pain. Negative pregnancy tests. Causes?

Hi, i m 5 or so days late on my period, except today i started bleeding . It was darker and now its getting brighter in color. It is nothing like my normal periods and I am NEVER late. I m experiencing abdominal cramps , lower back pain , and my gums were also bleeding this morning. I ve taken three hpt s and they ve all come back negative. Could I still be pregnant?
Asked On : Mon, 20 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  16
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
OBGYN 's  Response
Jan 2016
Hallow Dear,

Your situation needs to be evaluated from two angles mainly:

1. You had bleeding gums and dark colour blood in this menses. Bleeding gums is a symptom of Scurvy - a condition due to Vitamin C deficiency. Please get your blood examined for any bleeding and/or clotting defects. Along with, have the platelet count too. It may give some clue about the dark blood. It seems the blood was in the uterine cavity for some time before it showed out; hence the dark colour. Now that fresh blood is showing up, I feel, you need not worry about the delay. However, please start Vitamin C tablets like Celin in higher dose. Have fresh lemon, and sour things in your diet which will provide you enough Vitamin C.

2. You are thinking this delayed menses with pain as a complication of early pregnancy. Hence you performed pregnancy test on urine. Five days after missing a period is a gray zone for pregnancy tests on urine. These tests are more reliable about a week after the missed period. You may repeat this test again after 4 days on overnight early morning first urine sample for reliable results. Alternatively you may opt for blood examination for Beta hCG test any time. If the result is negative for pregnancy, you may forget the event; however, if it shows pregnancy, you will have to report to the Obstetrician as it may indicate miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy.

I hope this helps you.

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri
Answered: Wed, 8 Jun 2016
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor