Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

187 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Dark pigmentation around my mouth. What can be done to solve the pigmentation ?

hi i am 18 years my face there is a dark area around my mouth but remaining face looks fairer than that which makes my face look ugly.what can i do to make it to go away
Mon, 3 Oct 2011
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Dermatologist 's  Response
hi agal

u have perioral dermatitis.

dont apply any cosmetic over face.

avoid direct sunexposure.
apply good sunscreen twice a day

better to consult dermatologist

dont allow anything to spill from ur mouth.

apply good moisturizer cream
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Dear Agal, Welcome to Healthcaremagic!

Probably you are suffering from melasma [Cloasma], though there may be other causes as well, like peri-orificial eczema or misuse of steroid creams on face. Please do as follows & let me know in say 3-4 weeks.

1) Get your Hb checked- if you are anaemic, please start an iron suplement. Also take good nutritious diet with lots of fruits.

2) Use a depigmenting cream like, Demelan or Triglow at night only.

3) In day time- use a good broad spectrum sunscreen.

Wishing you best of health.

Dr Naveen Kansal, MBBS, MD [PGI, Chd]

Skin Clinic, SCO 298, Sect. 20, Panchkula
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hi I am 27 years old, i have complete darkness around my mouth and i thought of it pigmentation but now my complete face is also getting small brown spots and i don t know what i need to do now, so could you please suggest any good treatment for me...

doctor1 MD

Hii...aftr using lipophilic cream more than 15 days on corners of my mouth aftr dr recommendation due to darkening at corners, it appears more darker and seems some dark lesion type....what should I use then to cure it....?? Should I discontinue to use or use niltan or any other cream ?? Plzz suggest. ....??

doctor1 MD

hello sir,this is harshitha ,i need your help, i am suffering with dark pigmentation around mouth and nose part and my skin became darker than body colour(white),along with dark circles on eye,my age is 24 years ,i got married and have 2 year old baby

Recent questions on Dermatitis

doctor1 MD

Hello,Dr.Grief. I have sebborhiac dermatitis on the shins of my legs. I ve been to my dermatologist who perscribed Bacitracin zinc creme,which semed to help,but made the skin thin. I ve recently started to shampoo my shins with Denorex and T-Gel shampoos,which seem to help. if you have any suggestions,I welcme them.

doctor1 MD

itch!!! Incessant itching over entire body re: eyelids to soles of my feet and everywhere in-between. Currently using QV Body cleanser to wash hair to toe, body moisturiser but still, the terrible itch remains. Are there any new devopment in the dermatitis area

doctor1 MD

my daughter is 3 years old, soon to be 4. Tonight when I was putting her to bed, I noticed small bumps on the outer side of her palms, almost to the outer side of her hand. It wasn t there earlier today and I m not sure what could be causing it. I have dermatitis on the palm off my right had, so I asked if the bumps were itchy, and she said no. So, what could be causing this. She has no other symptoms, so I m stunned.

doctor1 MD

hello sir im sridhar 25 years old i have been suffering from seborrheic dermatitis for 5 years. heavy hair fall, grease like substance on my back and scalp some time on chest also. i used protar k shampoo ketacozole shampoos but of no use. lot of dandruff and scales on my head i spend atleast 15 min to remove these scales daily.. i went to a dermatologist he prescribed me tretiva 5mg daily. i started using 15 days ago and didnt have any improvement.does tretiva work plz suggest me what to do how to get rid of this scaly scalp

doctor1 MD

My Mother is 67 years old. For past few months, she has been suffering from black patches and itching in her lower right leg. She consulted an ayurvedic specialist and took up prescribed medicines. The diagnosis was impurities in blood and the...

doctor1 MD

I just noticed these spots under my armpit a few inches. It is slightly itchy. Its only here, no where else on body. I recently used a tanning bed ( I know it's bad, but wanted to get some color for vacation). I burned slightly in this area. Is it...

doctor1 MD

My wife has had sores on her arms and legs for about 1 year. They're not painful unless she picks at them. When she does pick at them, there's a small, hard, round ball that comes off. Attached is a photo. Any ideas what this could be?