How to cure itchy rashes that bleeds on antecubital spaces?

I have a problem about the antecubital spaces. My problem is that i have this sort of rash but i am not sure what it is called. I think it is either eczema or dermatitis. It is very itchy especially when i go to sleep at night. Its very red and it bleeds when i itch it. Please help me, what cream is reliable for this?
Mon, 14 Jun 2021

Your rashes may be due to a skin condition, known as intertrigo. It is an inflammation caused by skin to skin friction, usually in the warm and moist areas of body like, groins, under the arms, between toes, under the breasts or between folds of skin of abdomen etc. These rashes are usually red or reddish brown, itchy, oozy or with raw skin, cracked or crusty skin and foul odor if infected. Body secretions like sweat, urine or feces may exacerbate this condition. Excessive friction and inflammation can cause skin breakdown, which may be an entry point for various infections particularly for candida or streptococcus hemolyticus etc.

Diagnosis of intertrigo, can usually be made by physical examination, particularly location of rashes. However, in secondary infections, some times the diagnosis of fungal infection can be done by KOH preparation, as well as in some cases of bacterial infection, culture of the scrapping or oozing fluid may be helpful.

Treatment of intertrigo, primarily is local hygiene by keeping the area clean and dry. Fungal infections are usually treated with local anti-fungal like Nystatin, Clotrimazole, Ketaconazole, Econazole etc. Bacterial infection may be treated with local antibiotic ointments like Mupirocin, Erythromycin etc. Hard to treat cases may require oral anti-fungal or oral antibiotics. Itching may need local low dose hydrocortisone ointment. Besides all these, local application of petrolatum, zinc oxide ointment or use of talc. in the affected area may be additionally beneficial.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Satnarain Bansal, General & Family Physician