question-icon

What causes itchy spots in the armpit region?

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018
Question: I just noticed these spots under my armpit a few inches. It is slightly itchy. Its only here, no where else on body. I recently used a tanning bed ( I know it's bad, but wanted to get some color for vacation). I burned slightly in this area. Is it from the burn or is it perechiae? I googled and now fear leukemia. I have no other symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Eczematous dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image.
I can see faintly red, dry looking, patch of skin with a few excoriations - perhaps from scratching.
I think it is a patch of acute eczematous dermatitis - red, itchy with excoriations. It is not from tanning bed use. It's not leukemia.
I suggest you to use a moisturizer frequently over this area. In addition I suggest you to use a moderately potent topical steroid e.g either mometasone furoate 0.1 % or triamcinolone acetonide0.1%, cream, twice daily, over this patch. In addition you may take a tab. cetrizine 10mg once daily for symptomatic relief from itching.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist