What causes an itchy rash on the penis which worsens after masturbation?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
hi I was wondering if you could tell me if I have hpv. I sweat a lot down there and went to the doc about a week ago. when i got there the condition went down a lot and he told me it could be a heat rash. however it came back again though, I did just have protected sex about a week ago( after the derm visit) they seem to get worse when I masturbate. I just can't tell because the Internet pictures aren't clear
Fri, 18 May 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nor HPV warts

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images. I can see skin colored bumps.
They don't look exactly like warts. Perhaps a minor rash or a dermatitis.
Are they itchy?
I suggest you to apply a topical steroid e.g cortisone cream, twice daily.

Follow-up: What causes an itchy rash on the penis which worsens after masturbation? 4 hours later
they are itchy yes and I have no pain. are you sure though aren't flat warts or anything like that ? I applied some cortisone like you said. when I say I sweat a lot down there it's a lot , they look like inflamed fordyce spots possibly. I've had mollesucm before but I don't think it's that either. I'm hoping it's just a rash

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neither wart nor Molluscum

Detailed Answer:
Thank.

They do not look like a warts. Looks more like a eczematous rash.. Continue to apply cortisone cream. Doesn't look like Molluscum either.

Follow-up: What causes an itchy rash on the penis which worsens after masturbation? 3 hours later
thanks for easing my concern doctor. how can I prevent this from happening again? as I've said before it happens a lot and it usually gets worse when I masturbate ( I don't use a lotion). should I abstain from it for a few weeks and let the skin heal completely?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use topical steroid

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Perhaps it recurs because it never goes away completely. I suggest you to apply a topical steroid cream i.e cortisone cream for at least 2 weeks, twice daily. Masturbation probably flares it up due to friction. So it might help to abstain for 2 weeks while simultaneously treating it with the topical steroid cream.