Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Constant vaginal bleeding, no relief with provera, advised ablation. Should I opt for hysterectomy?

I am 44 and have had heavy consistant vaginalbleeding for months. Did biopsy and all came out fine. On provera now second cycle and still bleeding and cramping like regular period. Dr says ablation is next step. I have searched info on both ablation and hysterectomy It seems like many women end up with a hys. within a year after ablation so should I ask my dr about just going strait to hys. I have had 4 children. Two are from invitro b/c I also had two ectopic pregnancies. I also have non-hoskin s t-cell lymphoma which may not make any difference.
Asked On : Wed, 20 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  31
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
OBGYN 's  Response
Hello dear,
Thanks for the query. Menorrhagia which is not controlled by medical management, its better to go with surgery. Its all depend on you, about what surgery you want. I suggest you to go ahead with hysterectomy.
Hope I answered your question, Kindly reply me if you have any further queries or any comments. I will be very happy to help you.
Dr Arif
Answered: Wed, 20 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Achuo Ascensius's  Response
Hello, thanks for using HCM.
Provera is a progesterone like drug with with one of its uses being to control functional menstrual abnormalities due to hormonal disequilibrium. However, some women on progesterone will experience abundant bleeding and progesterone only drugs are not recommended for control of abnormal menstrual bleeding.
If you started the provera after you had started having the heavy bleedings, then you won't have any benefits from it, however, if you started having the bleeding after you had started the provera, then you have to stop it.
If you are considering to have definitive birth control, then hysterectomy will be a better option with less worries once it is done correctly.
However, if you are not thinking of a definitive contraception, then other methods could be use to control your bleeding such as using oestrogen to rapidly cause proliferation and thus stops endometrial shedding and consequently bleeding and then putting you on a combined oral contraceptive or putting you on combine oral contraception which has at least 30mcg of oestrogen, to start with three tabs a day until bleeding stops, then two tabs daily for 5 days then i tab daily until day 21 from the beginning of intake of the oral contraceptive, then the seven day pills on the card (one a day) and during the next period continuing the oral contraception normally.
However, the definitive plan will have to be taken between you and your doctor as he is the one who has an appropriate history and findings about you.
Best regards and hope this helps.
Answered: Wed, 20 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor