Suggest birth control pills that will not cause vaginal dryness

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Thu, 28 Sep 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: I am having an issue with vaginal dryness. I am on the pill Apri and just switched back to loloestrin fe. I know birth control can cause this but what can I switch to to fix this? I was considering XXXXXXX iud but I have read dryness as a side effect. Unfortunately my routine obgyn is being vague and I'm looking for more guidance what to switch to.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
IUD without any hormones

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Vaginal dryness is the side effect of any hormonal contraceptive or hormone releasing IUD.
These hormones thicken the cervical mucus and as such vagina is dry.
You can opt for simple IUD without any hormones in it, like Copper T.
This have no effect on vaginal lubrication.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 36 minutes later
is there any hormonal form of birthcontrol that has a less drying effect? I know the copper iud usually causes longer and more painful periods and was hoping to avoid that
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hormonal implants

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear.
You can go for hormonal implants like implanon and Nexplanon.
These have less vaginal dryness as a side effect as compared to other hormonal contraceptives.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D