Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Child hit is right side of forehead, has swelling. Is it common to have swelling?

Hi my 4 year old ran into a storage trailer yesterday on his 4 wheeler and he hit the right side of his forhead above his eye. As soon as he hit it it was very soft and immediately started getting big like a golf ball. So we put ice on it and it went down a little. Today it looks smaller but in betwee hen his eyes going down his nose is swollen.he acts the same running around and playing and is eating fine so should i take him to the doctor?
Asked On : Sun, 30 Dec 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  91
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Feb 2013
Because of hit on forehead your child developed a contusion which is due to collection of blood in the scalp layers and it may track down to invilve eyelids and nose. For pain relief you can give paracetamol or ibuprofen if the pain is significant with food in prescribed dosage. If there are any vomitings, persistent headache, abnormal behavior or movements, alteration in sensorium and paucity of limb movements consult your doctor immediately.
Answered: Fri, 4 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Synthyia Bhagat's  Response
Thanks for your query,
there is formation of hematoma over the injury site,do ice fomentation over the affected part.
You have also mentioned that your child is playing well,eating well,so there is nothing to worry.
The warning signs which should be kept in mind after head injury are,level of consciousness,any vomiting,bleeding from ear or nose,
Your child is going to be wel soon.
God bless.
Answered: Fri, 4 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician, Cardiology Dr. Pradeep Kumar's  Response

Head trauma without vomiting, altered sensorium and headache indicates that chances of injury to the brain is very very less.

Your main concern is swelling. As it is around eyes and nose, and bone in these area can get fractured easily, I will suggest you to consult the physician to rule out injury to the soft tissue or bone if any.


Answered: Fri, 4 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
hello keonyamoni2
i think you should apply ice one again and use anti-inflammatory like ibupfren plus paracetamol combination for thrice daily.
if this subside next day then i think there is no need for doctor advice
Answered: Fri, 4 Jan 2013
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor