What is the suggested medication for non hemorrhagic infarcts involving half of cerebellar hemisphere, left occipital and temporal region?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello sir My uncle got below situation: Fresh non hemorrhagic infracts on day - 1, involving both half of cerebellar hemisphere, left occipital & temporal region, right half of pons. After 2 days treatment with Enoxaparion, fresh MRI indicates below situaion: Fresh non hemorrhagic infracts increased in size , combined With Acute intracerebral hematoma Doctors stopped medication saying there is no medicine to cure this situation. Can any doctor please suggest medication / hospital who can help? Please help, the patient is dieing. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Depends on the size of hematoma and general XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your query in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Infarct in the brain occur when there is insufficient supply to some part of the brain. Hence drugs like enoxaparion are used to dilute the blood and resolve the bloackage to some extent. There is always a risk of hemorrhage after using these drugs but it is still advisable to use it as the benefits outweigh risk. However in the case of your uncle there is a hemorrhage as well in the second CT scan. Your doctor is right in stating that until the hemorrhage resolves, no drug has to be given or no drug can be given. However if the hemorrhage is big and is compressing the brain then it has to be operated upon by a neurosurgeon to evacuate the blood and reduce the pressure compression of rest of the brain. However if the hemorrhage is small and is not compressing the brain then it is advisable to just wait and watch as the hemorrhage resolves with time. Opening up the brain has its own complications and should preferably be avoided. As your doctor has advised you to wait, I suppose the size of the hemorrhage is not big enough to be operable and what ever chance is there is by waiting. Of course he has to stay in an ICU during this period as all symptomatic care has to continue. Hope that was helpful, If you have any further concerns, Kindly let me know. Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 17 minutes later
Dear sir Thank you very much for prompt reply. I dont know size of hemorrhage I just attached MRI report for your review.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks for the MRI report Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your follow-up information. The attached MRI report has very well explained the condition. The size of the hemorrhage is 20 mm x 22 mm x 19mm. Its not a big hematoma which needs to be operated. More so it is in the frontal lobe which is concerned with personality and intelect. If there is any post operative damage to this area then it will lead to serios post-op psychiatric symptoms. This lesion is better left untouched and wait for it to resolve. That is the best thing that can be done at this stage. Wishing him good health and speedy recovery, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD