Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

A small lump on back. Hard to touch with a dark spot. Is it really serious to worry?

Hi, I am eighteen years old and I have a small lump on my back. It is hard to the touch with a small darker spot in the middle and my dad noticed it while we were on vacation for Christmas. I thought it was a pimple or something but it never went away. They told me that I should get it checked out but i admit I am absolutely terrified. Because when people find lumps they are usually cancer, and i don't want to hear that. I'm really scared i could use some advice.
Asked On : Wed, 10 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  3226
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response
Hi..thanks for writing here. A small lump on back hard to touch and small black hole inside is mostly suggestive of sebaceous cyst.You need not to be worry much about it.It just occurs when a oil secreting gland is blocked or a hair follicle is swollen.It is usually free from symptoms ,but at times it may get ruptured and become inflamed which will produce pain and it is better you consult a dermatologist ,and get removed the cyst which is usually done under local anesthesia.All lumps are not cancers so do not worry about that.Take care.
Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

General & Family Physician Dr. Himaja Bai Kethavath's  Response
Hi Char
Welcome to HCM and thanks for posting your query here.

The description you are giving seems to be a sebaceous cyst. Sebaceous glands are a type of skin glands which will produce sebum in the human beings. They are like sweat glands. The sebum gives a peculiar odour to every human being. If the mouth of the gland is blocked it causes the retention of the sebum within the gland and causes a cyst formation. The blocked opening can be seen as a dark spot in the middle of the cyst.
It is very common on the back, face, scalp, behind the ears. The palms and soles are spared.

If the cyst is infected by the cutaneous organisms it gives an inflammed appearance like- redness around the cyst, swelling around the cyst and a bad smell.
The treatment of the cyst depends on its site and size. A simple cyst without any symptoms can be left like that. If infected it can be treated with antibiotics and antiinflammatory drugs. If the size of the cyst is more or cosmetically problem then simple excision is advised. If the total cyst is removed with the capsule chances of recurrences are rare.
Final diagnosis of your swelling can be made by looking it directly. Please visit your surgeon who will guide you in a right way.
Hope this is helpful to you.
Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dermatologist Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia's  Response
Dec 2013
Dear Char,

Hi and Welcome to HCM.

the very first thing to be told to you is it is NOT AT ALL CANCER. So first relieve your tension regarding the same.

Now you must be asking - What it is Doctor??

It is Sebaceous cyst/ Epidermoid cyst. You noticed a very important thing in the lump that is- darker spot in the middle, which is almost equivalent of the diagnostic point of this problem - known as central punctum. This is asymptomatic felt only as a lump on the site. People can have one or multiple of these but are not a thing of worry at all.

The other possibility is of Lipoma but as per your history is decently not.

Both of these above conditions are quite common and can be treated very well with small procedure of excision.

You can visit a dermatologist or a surgeon who will relive you within 5 minutes.

So stay healthy and be tension free, the world needs your contribution for next 50- 60 years..!!

With best heath wishes,

Dr Sanjay K Kanodia
Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor