question-icon

What causes large bump in the center of chest under the skin?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jan 2014
Question: I have a large bump in the center of my chest under the skin. It is hard not soft.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga (31 minutes later)
Brief Answer: Possible considerations Detailed Answer: hello and thank you for sending the question. There are several possibilities related to what you are describing. If this bump is right above a bone could be calcium deposit. Another possibility would be sebaceous cyst. These are very common and often occur right below a hair follicle. Even a cyst can be very hard in consistency. I would have your doctor take a look and if this is something that is uncomfortable your doctor might recommend removal. If it is otherwise not uncomfortable and your doctor agrees that it is not anything worrisome you might just continue to watch things for now. I have a low suspicion that this is something XXXXXXX but it must be evaluated by your primary care doctor. Thanks again for sharing your healthcare concern. I am available if you have any additional follow-up questions. Dr. Galamaga
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga (24 minutes later)
The bump I have is not sore and not painful.It is more noticeable when I stretch my chest.When I slump forward you cannot see it or feel it. Does this help you more on your opinion? The bump on my chest does not have a head.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga (24 hours later)
Brief Answer: Cyst Detailed Answer: this could still be a cyst. sometimes a small incision can be made in the fluid can be evacuated. Please talk to your doctor about this. Let me know if you have other questions.
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist