Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

21 year old diagnosed with vulvodynia. Concerned about intercourse

Hello, I am a 21 year old female and I was recently diagnosed with vulvodynia . I am kind of freaking out about this. The gyno that I went to see said that it is relatively new therefore doctors do not know much about it. I am wanting a second opinion trying to see what my options are. I am obviously worried about intercourse when I am married. please let me know if you know of anyone that specializes in this disease. thank you
Asked On : Tue, 2 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  105
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
thanks for using health care magic.

Vulvodynia refers to pains at the level of the vulva ( entrance of vagina ) for which no cause has been identified. Some women with vulvodynia have a history of vaginal infections, past sexual abuse, allergy etc. However, most women do not have any of such history and with no known contributing factors. Vulvodynia is not related to sexually transmissible and does not imply cancer.
The diagnosis of vulvoynia is made after all other possible diagnosis have been ruled out especially infections. Vaginal swaps should be taken for laboratory examination. Only after all is negative then can the diagnosis of vulvodynia be considered. If finally the diagnosis of vulvodynia is maintained then you will need to stick with your gynecologist for follow up
Best regards and hope this helps you.
Dr Achuo

Answered: Tue, 2 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor