X-rays showed fracture of tibial condyle involving articular surface and tibial plateau. What to do?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi , My father met with a minor accient yesterday while he was driving his 2-wheeler . He fell on left side with all weight , After xray and doctor consultation it is written by doctor lost tibial condyle including anticular surface + tibial plateau .I am sitting far from my father . he has sent me doctor consultation and x-ray pictures . One doctor recommended 6 weeks plaster , but when consulted other he has recommended surgery with screw implantation . I need your advise immediately . Please review the x-rays and suggest . In case any other questions . Please feel free to call 0000-0000 -XXXXXXX - MY father's number directly . Please mail me your email address where i can send my xray and doctor prescription.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 57 minutes later
The X-rays show a fracture of medial tibial condyle involving articular surface and tibial plateau.
The treatment can be done both conservatively by applying a cast and surgical fixation.
In surgical treatment, the alignment will be better and post surgical stiffness will be less. The recovery will be earlier and better.
In case of conservative treatment- cast application, complete reduction is not likely. After removal of cast after 6 weeks, persistent knee stiffness is likely which will need regular physiotherapy to regain the knee movement.
You can decide the course of management after discussing the pros and cons with the treating orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX ,

Thanks for your quick response . I am delighted by your response time.

So , As per my understanding surgical way is a better option from your answer .

While going for surgical treatment
Request you to kindly tell me before and after complications involved in detail ?

How will surgical treatment be better , plz can you guide on this ?

Technology which is best and used and procedure by which this surgery will be performed ?

Total treatment cost involved , breakup wise ?

Thing to take precaution / extra care .
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
In surgical treatment, there will be better reduction and reconstruction of articular surface will be good causing lesser stiffness post surgically.
The complications depend on the physical health of the patient. Usually the patient recovers in 6 weeks. The main complications are- infection, thrombosis, embolism, knee stiffness, late osteoarthritis, etc. These complications can be seen on cast application too.
Surgery under image intensifier is preferable.
Regarding the cost of the treatment, it depends on the place and varies from hospital to hospital. The total cost of medicines, duration of stay in the hospital are also variable according to the associated problems and complications. The cost also varies with the type of implant fitted and the procedure undertaken.
Your treating orthopedician can give you the best estimate of your expenses after a careful assessment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Thanks a ton for replying so promptly again .

We are chosing to for treatment from Amandeep Hospital Amritsar . Dr. Avtar XXXXXXX

Will be going for it tomorrow as it is 2 hours away from our town. As my family is staying in a remote town.

Please suggest what are the various implants available and which one should be preffered . And considering rest conditions to be normal . What will be an estimated stay before discharge and the and an estimated idea of the cost only i am seeking to know. ( going for the surgery type recommended by you , image intensifier ) .

Please reply with estimations only , need to carry that much cash along with us. Hope you understand .

Apart from image intensifier what other surgery technique and cost & complexity involved.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
The implant will depend on the size of implant needed and its availability with the doctor. Your orthopedician will select the one suitable for your father before the surgery.
Approximate indoor stay will be for five days and approximate cost will be around 50,000 INR.
Wishing your father an early trouble free recovery.
Regards.