Is breastfeeding after exposure to CT scan radiations safe?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Fri, 22 Sep 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: My Wife recently undergone CT(Face) 3D scan for nasal bone fracture. She had and C-Section Delivery 22 day before.
I have heard lots of side effects of CT scan and I am really worried.

This is the 1st CT scan done.Please tell me the adverse effect of the CT scan and any preventive measure.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow the Advises..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome to HealthcareMagic,
I've gone through your query and understand the concerns,

First of all, please clarify if you meant she had the C-section delivery 22days before, and now has the CT-face done (after 22days of delivery). If that's the scenario, then the concern(related to radiation) becomes extremely unlikely and hardly anything to worry...

Even if she had the CT-scan during pregnancy, you should note that the average dosage of radiation is thoroughly controlled by technicians during the scans and the cumulative dosage of ionizing radiation during CT-Face is very very low compared to CT-scan of other parts of the body(Chest, Abdomen, Pelvis etc.)..There are also protective shields(lead shields) being provided to the pregnant ladies as a precautionary measure, so nothing to worry about that aspect also...

Moreover, if the baby's doing fine, the prenatal, antenatal growth and the previous and present routine investigations(whichever has been done so far) are fine, then there's nothing to worry at all...

The take-home message from this, try to avoid non-emergent investigations which involve radiations (eg. CT-scan X-rays etc.), unless until extremely necessary, and should be done under the proper supervision of the Radiologist, as and when necessary...

I'd also suggest informing about the same(the CT-scan) to her treating Gynecologist and the baby's treating Pediatrician (to keep them in the loop)...

I've tried to make it as simple as possible for you to understand, let me know if there's any doubt...

Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 6 minutes later
To confirm CT scan was done post delivery (22 days after c-section).Will it affect baby while breastfeeding?
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow-up consultation...

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,
Thanks for following up,

If the CT-scan didn't involve any contrast/dye injection there's nothing to worry...

It's also important to know how long back the CT-scan was done...How many day/s or hour/s it's been already?

In case, there was any such contrast administration involved, both of you should be already been informed about the investigation, and if willing (because the guidelines state that contrast administration to the mother is considered safe for both the baby and nursing mother, so technically nothing to worry) then only proceed further.

If despite this, worried about any potential ill-effects (to the baby) she may abstain from breast-feeding for 24 hours with active expression and discarding of breast milk (from both breasts) during that period. Along with this, she may wish to obtain milk prior to the contrast study (by using a breast pump) to feed the baby during that 24-hour period following the examination. All of these should ideally be informed and/ discussed with her treating Gynecologist and the baby's treating Pediatrician (to keep them in the loop)...

I hope this is clear now...

Kind Regards