Will presence of fibroids have an effect on pregnancy after IUI procedure?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: plz check my attached report.

I had an iui yesterday, I had one fibroid plz check my report will it affect my pregnancy, I m not able to understand the location of my fibroid, is it inside my uterus? how to shrink a fibroid, what should I do
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I have a couple of additional questions first...

Detailed Answer:
1. How long have you been trying to get pregnant?
2. Have you ever been pregnant before?
3. How has your doctor explained these findings to you?

I will provide a thorough answer after receiving answers from your questions.
Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 8 hours later
2 yrs

yes it is my second attempt in iui, at first also I get pregnant but that resulted in blighted ovum only the sac was present

I had done hsg and then lapo , plz check my attach reports of hsg and lapo I had ovarian drilling also
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Right sided fibroid blocking the right tube

Detailed Answer:
The combination of the hysterosalpingogram, hysteroscopy and laparoscopy really gives a quite clear picture. Fibroids are common, benign tumors of the uterus that can get bigger over time but generally do not cause much trouble except for heavy, painful periods. In your case, there is a fibroid blocking the right tube:

1. The hysterosalpingogram shows a normal left tube and no filling of the right tube. This probably led to the next procedure which included looking in the uterus and then looking into the abdomen

2. The inside of the uterus is normal except for an irregularity towards the opening of the right tube. This is the fibroid on the right side, blocking the tube

3. On laparoscopy, they were able to prove that the left tube was normal and open to the abdomen. The right tube, despite considerable effort, does not fill or spill because the fibroid towards the right top of the uterus is blocking that tube

So there is still a chance at pregnancy because of the open left tube, it is just that the chances of pregnancy are probably less than normal. The fibroid is not really in such a bad location in terms of when you are eventually pregnant, but it is not allowing normal function of the right tube.

With regard to what you can do, there is really nothing you can do. The location of the fibroid would make it very difficult to remove and its removal would probably make the right tube non-functional anyway. So, I would not recommend that a patient with the same finding have this removed.

The only way to shrink the fibroid is a procedure called uterine artery embolization, but this is not guaranteed and would likely not increase the chances of pregnancy significantly. Your best chances at pregnancy include continued attempts on your own, continued attempts at IUI, or IVF.

What has your doctor suggested?

Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
The left tube is obviously still functional

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the followup information. Given that you were able to achieve a pregnancy, the left tube is definitely working - this is good news even though the first attempt ended up as a miscarriage. The left tube can pick up an egg from EITHER ovary as the ovaries and tubes sit in the pelvis all in close proximity. I am sorry about your miscarriage but from what you are telling me, I am very hopeful that you will be successful at some point.

Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 minute later
Thank u so much.

Yes my doctor is doing iui with me at my first attempt I got pregnant but resulted in blighted ovum now on 17th this month I have taken 2nd attempt. My doctor didn't bother too much for the fibroid I have she said one tube is sufficient for pregnancy. So she really don't bother much. Even I had pcod so she did ovarian drilling and now I m taking obimetsr 500mg twice plus folic acid but vitin b and dexaorange and dhuphaston started from tomorrow Thursday s time she did my iui with fsh injections and one hcg injection I had 2 egg on both my ovaries but only one ruptured, another 1 was still present at the time of my iui but the one that ruptured was on right side and my right tube is blocked so let's c how this iui will work for me