Why am I getting pain in ovary and legs?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Had pain in ovary area for over a month coming and going...in the last 2 days I have very bad pain in both legs and can hardly get up...yesterday only advil made it better...woke up again today with verpain in both legs espesially near hip joints....had a pap 2 weeks ago and it was normal. There is ultrasound ordered before I started having leg pain and that could take months. Could it be my ovaries or something?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 30 minutes later
Hello
Ovarian pain could have a few causes like :
Ovarian cysts - This is accompanied by irregular cycles, painful periods, and of course , the cyst would be picked up on a transvaginal ultrasound, and by pelvic examination.
Endometriosis also could cause such pain, and it is also a clinical cum ultrasound diagnosis, sometimes requiring laparoscopy to confirm it. It may be accompanied by pre menstrual spotting, extremely painful intercourse.
Pelvic inflammatory disease ( PID ) presents with pain over the ovarian area also. It is accompanied by vaginal discharge, itching or burning in the genital/vaginal area .
Certain bowel conditions - constipation, appendicitis, or renal pain also mimics ovarian pain as the location is similar.

Considering the pain in the legs, that too bilateral, it seems to be unrelated to your ovarian pain.
The causes could be
Arthritis - specially as you mention that both hip joints are painful. It causes joint pain, swelling, stiffness ( specially early in the morning ) .
Bursitis - It is swelling and irritation of a bursa. A bursa is a fluid-filled sac that acts as a cushion between a muscles, tendons, and joints.
Sciatica - Sciatica refers to pain, weakness, numbness, or tingling in the leg. It is caused by injury to or pressure on the sciatic nerve. Sciatica pain can vary widely. It may feel like a mild tingling, dull ache, or a burning sensation. In some cases, the pain is severe enough to make a person unable to move.

The pain most often occurs on one side. Some people have sharp pain in one part of the leg or hip and numbness in other parts. The pain or numbness may also be felt on the back of the calf or on the sole of the foot. The affected leg may feel weak. The pain often starts slowly. Sciatica pain may get worse:After standing or sitting, At night, When sneezing, coughing, or laughing, When bending backwards or walking more than a few yards.

You need to consult your gynecologist to rule out the pelvic conditions, and for the bilateral hip pain, please see an Orthopedic Surgeon.
You need a complete pelvic check up, per vaginal and per speculum examination, Transvaginal ultrasound, and a complete Orthopedic evaluation also.

The treatment is varied, since the causes are varied.
However, pain from the ovaries being referred to the hip area is not common.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.