Why am I getting electric shock pain through the lower thigh and knee?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My brother started having these electric-shock type excruciating pain right above his left knee anterior, it started last night and lasted 20 minutes, and every 2 hours lasting 15-20 minutes, now it is happening every 45 minutes lasting 5 minutes, when the period goes down duration is also going down, and when it's gone he is back to normal. We have been to the emergency room, have done all the x-rays, doppler ultrasound, blood and urine tests, against gout, heart attack, blood cloth with no definitive result. Please help us here, my parents and we are all devastated to see him in this unbearable pain. Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

The short electric pain through the lower thigh and knee is likely to be due to a nerve irritation. This can happen due to a nerve injury or a nerve root compression at the level of spinal cord. Other causes may be Vitamin B complex deficiency or electrolyte imbalance. He needs to consult a neurologist for proper evaluation and needed treatment.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 15 hours later
Thank you very much Mr. XXXXXXX your answer makes perfect sense, it is probably nerve irritation. About 7 months ago he lifted a heavy box and felt pain in his back, and some days later he said he doesn't feel his toes, and that lasted 2-3 months and went away. Can his knee pain be related to this experience he had 7 months ago?
Do you know a good neurologist in Chicago area you can refer us to?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Heavy weight lifting over back can cause slipped disc and this might be the cause of nerve root compression at the level of spinal cord. So this can be related to his knee pain.

Sorry, I have no idea of good neurologist in Chicago area.

Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing him speedy recovery...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta