Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Why am I facing severe urine problem after cervical spine surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
My father had an Cervical spine surgery, then due to extra dose of motion he got loose motion for 5 days after every 5 mins, due to which his sodium potassium went down , now he got infection in urine , pus cells in urine is above 100 , also sonography report show borderline englargement of prostrate.. He has severe urine problem , urine happens without sensation , he faces problem whole night due to leakage of urine...
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...need a proper antibiotic course after urine culture. Detailed answer.. Hello, Thanks for the query. Very sorry to learn about the turn of events with your father. His history suggests that he is suffering from severe urinary tract infection ( UTI ). Ideal way of treatment is to get the urine culture and sensivity done and then give the appropriate antibiotic course for 10-14 days. He must increase his water intake and start taking some alkaliser like ALKACITRON OR CITRALKA in dose of 2tsf mixed with one cup of water,three times a day. This would help in flushing out the infection. I hope he improves with this treatment but if he doesn't improve,then it would be worthwhile to consult a urologist for evaluation and management. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why am I facing severe urine problem after cervical spine surgery? 10 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX Does it has something to worry. Will it affect kidney. Do we need to go for surgery of prostate. Prostrate is borderline enlarged measure :4.0cm x 5.9cm x 4cm with volume of 49.91cm3 In Microcopic finding Pus Cell > 100/hpf Red Blood cells 5-7/hpf Epithelial cells 2-3/hpf Chemical Examination Blood ++80 Ery/ul Leukocytes 70 Leuko/ul How many days it will take improve his leakage , we giving him urimax D. How this can be improve atleast leakage should stop. Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Hello, Kidneys get harmed if urinary infection is not treated and infection travels backwards to result in infection of kidney. A prompt treatment of urinary tract infection is the important part of treatment. URIMAX-D is given to improve the urinary symptoms in patients suffering from benign prostate enlargement. URIMAX-D is a combination of TAMSULOSIN and DUTASTERIDE. Tamsulosin helps in relaxing muscles of prostate gland while dutasteride helps in shrinking the prostate gland.Combination of these two medicines work much better than giving them alone. Although the action of urimax-d starts in 3-5 days but the complete and proper effect takes about 3-4 weeks to achieve. Normally such borderline prostate enlargement doesn't require surgery and symtoms can be managed by medications and lifestyle changes like avoiding drinking fluids for 3 hours prior to going to bed. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why am I facing severe urine problem after cervical spine surgery? 16 minutes later
Hi, How much time it will take to control urine leakage, what medicine should be given to to treat infection in urine, will Urimax D reduce infection also. Puss cell in urine is above 100/hpf. Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 minutes later
Hello, As I told you earlier URIMAX D takes about 3-4 weeks for complete effect although effect starts in 3-5 days. Antibioics are to be given after getting the urine culture done. URIMAX D helps in alleviating the symptoms of prostate enlargement and doesn't treat infection. Combination of URIMAX D and proper antibiotics shall help soon. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor