What treatment and cure should be done for tonsillitis and mouth ulcer?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Question: Hello Dr. Grief, My son has been getting a lot of mouth ulcers since he started an intensive sailing course - he started the course mid October and it goes on til February. I guess why I'm worried is that I am in remission from myelodysplastic syndrome (I had a tonsilitis last New Year and ended up in the coronary care unit with myocarditis... Thank you for your help. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 11 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

I can understand your concerns about Myocarditis and MDS (Myelodysplastic Syndrome) relating to your son's mouth ulcers.

Always physicians would look for most common reasons and then common conditions for any symptom. Hence in your son's case we look at stress (physical or mental) and nutritional deficiencies and followed by dental causes as prime reasons. Sailing has an intense physical stress so can be related. Once we rule them out the other uncommon causes then you mentioned above should be ruled out.

Yes if the ulcers are non healing, recurring and long standing for months there is a reason to worry.

First put off your worries take him to the nearest physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli