Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

What sort of treatment should we allow for a child's wax burn to thumb?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
what sort of treatment should we allow for a childs wax burn to the thumb the skin is peeling and the pain is still evident 4 hours later
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 50 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

First aid for wax burn on fingers or thumb includes the following:

1. Run cool water over the burn. Use cool compresses or immerse the part in cool water if running water is not available or uncomfortable. Avoid ice while treating the burn, as the cool water is the safest way to reduce swelling.

2. You may require giving oral analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs like acetaminophen or ibuprofen combination tablets as per doctor’s prescription for relieving the pain and swelling.

3. You may wrap light sterile gauze around the thumb, after applying a prescription strength local antiseptic ointment containing silver sulphadiazine to the wound.

Avoid bursting any blister and avoid dense ointment application or tight bandage as these might delay the wound healing.

The exact and appropriate treatment however requires careful assessment of the depth and degree of burns which can only be possible by examination of wound by a doctor.

Also though superficial burns might heal in a week’s time, deeper burns or infected burns may need repeated monitoring and cleaning and dressing by your doctor.

Since it’s already four hours or more after injury, and the pain is persistent I would advise you consult your physician for management rather than self medication.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor