Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

What is the cause and treatment for depression?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6181 Questions
Hey i was told to see someone my friend said i might have depression
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
See your primary care doctor!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this notion of depression. What is it that made your friend to suggest that you may be having depression? I will like that you detailed the events or symptoms that led to your friend making such a suggestion for appreciation and further insights.

Depression presents with sleep difficulties, feeling of guilt, lack of energy, lack of appetite, , lack of concentration and getting tasks done, etc. I will suggest that you consult and follow up with your doctor for proper investigations and appropriate management.

Hypothyroidism can cause symptoms similar to depression. If your symptoms are suggestive, the doctor would for sure do a rapid assessment to make sure this is not the cause.

In all, kindly report what made your friend to suggest getting evaluated for depression. seeing your primary care physician would be a good point to start and get subsequent referrals if need be.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Thanks for using our services this day for your health questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for depression? 2 hours later
Not sleeping always crying over nothing and very little construction
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
See a psychiatrist!

Detailed Answer:
Your friend is most likely right to have suggested this. I think you need help and would suggest you start with your primary care doctor or see a psychiatrist straight away.

I will also like to see you evaluate your life over the past months to identify some of those things that you think might be responsible for these unusual feelings. Facing them often helps and may be the only solution to it. It could be at work, relationship, school, family, etc. Make a thorough assessment of this.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Keep me posted with your progress.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor