What is coronary artery disease?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I wanted to know if your received your test results and it comes back detection of coronary artery disease what does that mean
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Arteries supplying blood to the heart itself.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
The Heart which supplies the pure ( oxygenated blood to the whole body and impure ( de-oxygenated blood) to the lungs for removal of the carbon dioxide needs its own blood supply for its proper function.

This blood supply to the heart is directly from the aorta and is called coronary arteries.

Your reports are suggesting disease of these arteries.
This is usually in the form of blockage, thereby increasing the chances of heart attack ( Myocardiac infarction) if these get blocked further so as to give less blood supply to the organ which itself is providing the blood to the whole body including itself.

I hope this answer helps you to understand the basics.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 21 minutes later
Thx! Yes I was sent my lab work and that what it said. Dectection of coronary artery disease. Can you tell me some if the symptoms. I have been having chest pains, fatigue and dizziness.
I was told I had myxomatous mitral valve degeneration and thickening with prolapse of the anterior leaflet. I was told it was leaking. I'm just worried because of the chest pains.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
as given bellow

Detailed Answer:
The commonest symptoms of coronary artery disease are chest pain on the left side, may be referred to the left arm, Heaviness in the chest, sweating, fatigue.
In many cases there may be only minimal or no symptoms at all.

Mitral valves is between the 2 chambers of the left side which supply pure blood to the body. As there is prolapse of the one of the 2 leaflets ) this bi-cuspid ( bi means two) the part of the blood which should be projected forward in the whole quantity into the aorta ( the main and the only one) supplying the whole body returns to the first / upper chamber. There by the body and the heart receives less amount of the blood.
n a long run the back-pressure into the upper chamber is transmitted to the lungs from where the impure blood is made pure and supplied to the upper left chamber. This can give rise to breathlessness, swelling of the legs, liver and so on.

A thorough examination and investigations under the care of the Cardiologist and Cardiac Surgeon can know the stage you are in and the need of the medicines and the surgery.