What causes slurred speech after a stroke?

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Thu, 9 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My mother, who is 81, has been feeling like she's "drunk" - thick speech and unstable walking. When I ask her if she feels okay, she says she just feels "off". The speech problem comes and goes and if she's sitting down, she feels fine. Any ideas what could be wrong since she says I'm worrying for nothing?
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly stroke in evolution go to ER soon

Detailed Answer:
There seems to be brain losing blood supply causing infarction of various centres.
If these symptoms are increasing for short time of few hours I suggest to see at emergency. The symptoms are sounding to be stroke in occurring. This kind of symptoms in an octagenarian should never be left unattended.
She needs an emergency CT scan to evaluate further.
Hope I am of some help to you.