What foods must be avoided to keep cough symptoms at bay?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 3 Mar 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My husband had a 9 centimeter diverticulum. He has had it for twenty years. He has managed it well. Allergies play a large part in the condition. He has thick flem that comes up when the allergies are bad or when his esophagus is tight. He is 79 years old and no medication. Great health except for this. Are their certain foods he should avoid to help with the thick flem that comes up? Its weird because he can swallow steak and it stays down. The flem is clear in color. Sometimes it gets very thick. He always spits it out. Is there medication or preferably something natural.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Proper diet is must.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query,
The most important factor to control symptoms is strict adherence to natural and simple diet. This should consist of unrefined food such as grain green leafy vegetables etc.Avoid use of chillies and powder.Avoid drinking a smoking.
Whole grains should be taken daily wheat bread or brown rice are good source of it.
Oats and corn are also beneficial and can be taken if suits his food pattern.

When food irritates mucosa large amount of mucous is produced.Production of mucous is a protective phenomenon as a response of irritaion of mucosal layer.Apart from that some vitamin supplement good for him are-
Vitamin c-it maintains the healthy tissue matrix. Good sorces are berries spinach,orange, papaya, pineapple, tomato.

Vitamin e- it is a fat soluble vitamin which maintains healthy cell membrane as well as the prevention of inflammation.

Hope i was helpful.
Keep enjoying your life dear.
Wish you a great day ahead.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T