What does vibrations in BP and LDL level of 114 indicate?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My age 41 plus. My bp ranges from 80 125 to 87 137. Presently taking telvas 40. Doctor added s Numlo2.5. I had ldl 114 and tgl 142 after Taking fibator 5 for 1 month. Should i increase the bp medicine as mentioned above and continue the fibator 5. Doctor told to continue for 6 month. What should i do?

I have uploaded the following report :

1. complete Blood report dated 18.4.15 after which doctor started Fibator 5 (Atorvastin and finofivrate), TGL was 396 in this .
2. complete Blood report dated 20.5.15. TGL reduced to 114.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
YES - You should

Detailed Answer:
Hi friend
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Yes
You are in good hands

LIPIDS
HDL is good cholesterol – higher, the better.
LDL is bad cholesterol – lower, the better. In the absence of any other risk factor 100 is ideal for LDL-C. In the presence of other diseases (especially Diabetes, Blood pressure, and/or established heart disease), 70 should be the aim.
INCREASING THE DOSE IS THE RIGHT STEP
     Keep your weight to normal / even a little less
     Quit smoking, if you are a smoker
     Do regular EXERCISE – say walking or jogging - 30 minutes a day / at least 5 days in a week. Isometric exercise (like bull worker) is bad.
     Healthy FOOD is a must. Avoid saturated fats – coconut oil, palm oil, butter, ghee, full cream milk...Avoid junk foods in particular – French fries have palm oil / Pizza has cheese / XXXXXXX sweets are made in ghee.../ Change to Poly-un-saturated oil – like sun flower oil. / Include Mono-un-saturated oil – Olive oil.
Repeat the test in 2 to 3 months.
     The values are still high, because it is also manufactured in the liver – and that is determined by heredity. Stepping up the dose – as suggested – will solve the issue
____________________________________________
BLOOD PRESSURE
The range for the upper figure (Systolic) is 90 to 140 mm Hg.
The range for the lower figure (Diastolic) is 60 to 90 mm Hg.
While treating, we aim for 130 / 80
Most patients need more than one drug / many 3 or more..
It is good to take the drug as advised / when controlled, you can change to a single combination tablet – same drug and dose

Good luck
God bless you
Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 17 minutes later
Thanks Doctor.

I do not have diabetes as you may have seen in the reports. I exercise (like jogging etc.). My weight is 71 KG and height 175 cm.

I have read at so many places that if the BP is below the range of 90/140 with help of one medicine; another medicine should not be added as the side effects outweigh the benefits. Is it true?

Further, as you may have seen my serum Creatinine has increased to 0.97 from 0.65 in one month. In 2nd case (i.e 0.97), I gave the sample after coming back from jogging. Does it explains this sudden increase? I have read somewhere that Fenofibrate increases the serum Creatinine. Is it true? For how many months I have to continue the fenofibrate treatment, as my TGL has already become normal. Should I take only Rosuvas or Atorvas 10 or 5 to lower the LDL with good control and exercise? Pls. advice.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal BMI / Step up statin

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You weight is normal / BMI is 23.2 = normal range

We start treatment if the BP is > 140 /90
We aim to bring it to 130 / 80 and maintain at that level
It is not true that a single drug is better / A combination is always better than a single medicine

An increase of 30% or more in serum creatinine level in the absence of other causes, dictates discontinuation of fibrate therapy. The values can take several weeks to return to their baseline following discontinuation. Your creatinine is in normal range – only if both urea and creatinine are increased, it points to the kidney.
We can give the benefit of doubt / stop fibrate / and take statin only
Take any statin in appropriate dose. The dose of atorvastatin is 10 to 80 mg… If the value is not controlled after 2 or 3 months, the dose should be stepped up.
Both classes of drugs have effects on both cholesterol and TG – Fibrates far better for TG / statins have anti-oxidant effects in addition

The drugs should be continued lifelong. They do not treat the cause – they only address the effect. The cause is mainly genetic – environment – diet and idle life – only add on

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist