• question-icon

What does this haematology report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 11 Nov 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My Haemotology report is as follows
Heamoglobin is 13.1 g/dl.
PCV is 38.4 %
RBC is 4.55 mill/cu.mm.
MCV is 84 fL
MCH is 28.8 Pg.
MCHC is 34.1 g/dL
Differential Leucocyte Count are as follows.
Neutrophils-Normal
Lymphocytes-Normal
Eoinophil-11%
Monocytes-Normal
Basopils-Normal
Platelet count -Normal
ESR is 22 mm/hr
I have protein passage in urine.
I have high cholestrol and triglycerides, hence i take medicine for the same .
Frther I have Hypertesion and I am on Coveram 10/5 mg

I would like to undertand how serious is my condition particularly with regard to High ESR and low RBC also on Kidney function.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anemia due to kidney infection...

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your blood test report carefully and may say as following:

1. Having passage of protein in urine is indicative for kidney damage most probably due to infection.

2. High ESR is due to kidney infection. Generally, increased ESR is noted when there is inflammation somewhere in the body. As you have already done urine analysis and protein was found, then, high in ESR in your case is due to kidney infection.

I need to have the urine analysis though. I did not received it.

3. Your blood count is suggestive for anemia. To my judgement, kidney problems are causing anemia.

4. Everything else seems ok.

If you treat kidney problems accordingly, ESR will be reduced, while hemoglobin and erythrocytes will be increased (no more anemia).

It is necessary to get further evaluated by a nephrologist and hematologist.
Hope it answered to your queries!
Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 17 hours later
Thanks but as I said protein passage started 8 yrs back due to membranous nephropathy. It got normal due to prednisalone. Prednisalone was stopped 7 yrs back Again protein passage started since past two years and the passage is grasually increasing.

What I want to know is the root cause of membranous nephropathy?
Do I have to check for any underlying disease?If so what tests I have to do?
Do I have to restart Prenisalone again? Or is there any other way / medicine to reduce / stop protein passage?
How serious is this disease considering present staus.
I have already sent the reports on urine sample which also illustrates Protein value in urine or creatinine & protein ratio. I can send it again if you have not received the reports I already sent.
I would like to get the above answers from experienced Nephrologist.
I would like to get teh above answers from experienced Nephrologist
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Close discussion&open a new one for nephrologist..

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

1. Membranous nephropathy is referred to inflammation and consecutive thickening of glomerular basement membrane (responsible for filtering of water and fluids).

2. The causes include:
- primary (with no known specific cause)
- secondary (is associated with other conditions)

3. The very first thing is to rule out other pathologies first. If none is found, then, the final diagnosis would be referred as Primary Nephropathy.

4. Among the causes of nephropathy, I can mention:
- medications you've been using: penicillamine, trimethadione, and skin-lightening creams?
- any infectious disease: hepatitis B, malaria, syphilis, and endocarditis?
- exposure to toxins like mercury, etc.
- Certain types of arthritis (e.g. lupus)
- cancer

5. Diagnosis is confirmed by kidney biopsy.

6. So far, no urine test report is in.

I have informed the customer care team to refer your query to a Nephrologist. They will do the needful.

If you have any medical concerns regarding to your heart you can ask me or no further clarifications you can close and rate this query.

All the best!
Dr.Benard Shehu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist