What does this LFT report indicate?

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My ggt level os 109 and sgpt 113 so what do i do and i am a alcoholic some times i drink but before some days i drink regularly and now I quite for a time so i am worry that what do i do for ggtp and sgpt and after how mich time i drink ?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Avoiding alcohol for long term helps.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Your ggt and sgpt are little high. This indicates some liver damage. Doing an ultrasound examination of liver will be helpful to get more information and exact status of your liver.
Liver has high power of regeneration. Alcoholic liver in early stages are reversible also. So avoiding alcohol for long term like 6 months will be helpful to normalize this. Take more anti oxidant rich foods like citrus fruits and greens. Avoid drugs like paracetamol. Taking vitamin C supplements also helps. Use bottled water for drinking for avoiding pesticides and heavy metal exposure. Avoid junk foods and carbonated drinks. You can also take liver tonics or anti oxidants like silymarin. Get proper sleep daily and avoid stress.

Above measures will be helpful to normalize your liver.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 3 hours later
But i go near by general doctor they said stop drinking at least 1month and any syrup or tablet for liver to get normal quickly means liv 52 is good to have for ggt and sgpt to normal ??
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
1 month is very less.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up query.

1 month is very less time. 3 to 6 months is usually needed to completely normalize your liver. You can take liv 52. It is an ayurvedic proprietary supplement containing anti oxidants. This is helpful in recovery of liver faster.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Ok thx,If i want to drink so can i drink twice in a week after 10 days means 3 to 4 peg not daily or not too much ??
actually doc i don't drink regularly but from last month 9 july to aug15 i drink regular because of family tension headache cz i didn't sleep now i decided that if i want to drink so i drink twice in a week but after 10 days and how i take liv 52 syrup and also tell me in between drink also means when i want to drink in night so can i take liv 52 in the morning ????
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to avoid alcohol for 1 month if possible.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up query.

It is better to avoid alcohol completely for 1 month. After that you can decrease the frequency of consumption. Weekly twice is still bad for liver. Decreasing to weekly once will be more better. If you consume alcohol you have to raise the dosage of liv 52. Maximum dose given is 9 tablets per day.

Now you can take 4 to 6 tablets per day in divided dosage of twice daily.

Yes,You can take liv 52 in morning when you have taken alcohol the night before.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj