What does the following ultrasound report indicate?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello,

My partner's ultrasound has revealed that she has Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome.

She got this test as a routine checkup recommended by her dermatologist.

Can you please look at the attached report and let me know if this is serious? What is the treatment for this? Is this curable?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload the report

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder associated with irregular menstrual cycles, acne, hirsutism and polycystic ovaries on ultrasound. It is improved by proper medications.
Please upload the report, as it is not visible in this question.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please get back with the report.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 3 minutes later

Her periods are regular. I'm uploading the report again.

Thanks in advance for you comments
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Polycystic ovaries

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, the ultrasound report is showing polycystic ovaries, which is present in PCOS.
Does your friend have acne?
Why a dermatologist had advised an ultrasound?
What is her age and whether she is married?
Please get back with the following details, if feasible.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 7 hours later
Hi Doc,

My friend is 29, not married.

She is getting treatment for hair loss from her dermatologist. She does not have acne.

What are the implications of PCOS? Can this be treated?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, the criteria for diagnosing PCOS is presence of any two of the following three criteria:
1. Irregular menstrual cycles
2. Polycystic ovaries on ultrasound
3. Presence of excessive androgen hormone in body or hirsutism or acne
In your friend, only one criteria is fulfilled and hence she cannot be diagnosed to have PCOS until serum testosterone level and DHEA levels (androgen hormones) are found to be high.I suggest her to get these investigations done from a good reliable lab.
Treatment is needed in only those females who have any symptoms mentioned above or are having difficulty in conception. Otherwise no treatment is advocated.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
You can get back to me for health related queries by asking a direct question to me on health care magic portal.
Wishing you both good health.
Dr Deepti Verma