What does the HIV report indicate?

Excellent

Question
Hi
I have been tested for HIV and got the following results
HIV-1 Antibody     3.75 range <1.00 positive
HIV 1/O/2 Abs, Qual Repeatedly Reactive Positive
HIV-1 Confirmation Non Reactive Negative
HIV-2 Confirmation Non Reactive Negative
I have done HIV RNa test and waiting for the result but I am so scared now
Which result should I believe? how accurate is the negative confirmation test?
about one and half month ago I was outside USA and ate something that caused my stomach pain and diarrhea and fever,had to get a shot for my stomach and 3 antibiotic shots.
can that cause false positive antibodies?
does the HIV antibodies test looks for specific HIV antibodies or any antibodies that the immune system may generate for other virus reasons ?
Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No worries, tests specific, wrong results unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I really do not think you need to be too wear as you appear to be at this point in time. It might be important to note that the HIV screening tests used today are generally very sensitive, and most of them are able to detect recent infections as to four weeks from the date the person contracted the virus. Your results, in my opinion, really do not warrant that you should be worried as such.

In case you have had a risky sexual contact within the last six weeks, it would be interesting to get another test done in three months time. Interestingly, The HIV RNa test you just did is very specific and sensitive and should give you exact results. With no latest risky sexual contact, you really need not bother much in my opinion.

You need not be worries with regards to getting maybe false positive results, due to the fact that you might have contracted another virus. Fortunately, the tests are very very specific, and such rare false positives or errors are really no major concern when it comes to HIV testing today.

No worries as I wish you the best of health. Kind regards,

Dr Bain

Follow-up: What does the HIV report indicate? 4 hours later
Hi Dr Bain,
Thank you for the answer that made me calm down already
forget to mention that the antibiotic 3 shots I had was broad spectrum antibiotic
and I don't have any symptoms at all that is known for HIV symptoms (skin rash,..etc)
also same test was negative to all the STDs
still waiting for RNA test result and hopefully will not detect any virus.
so the test can detect antibodies similar to HIV antibodies from broad spectrum antibiotic even after about 4 weeks ?
Thank you
antibodies 3.75 ? doesn't seem to be so high to be false positive? more than 3 times the threshold value <1 ?

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No worries for now.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the update,

the test result fortunately is so nice (3.5) that the possibility for this to be a false positive, though possible is difficult to imagine. No worries at this level.

I would reassure you once more that there is no need to worry with regards to a cross reaction for you taking broad spectrum antibiotics for other infections.

HIV tests today are so sensitive and specific that cross reactions from drugs or other infections are really no major call for concern. So no worries.

Dr Bain

Follow-up: What does the HIV report indicate? 45 hours later
Dr Bain,
Thank you again.
I just want to let you know I have received RNA test result today.
HIV-1 RNA     Value NHIVND     Range -     Result Negative
test date 07/25/2014
last exposure XXXXXXX 28 2014
so now at least I know I should be fine.
assuming no exposure to anything that can cause HIV and based on that test result
do you recommend another test in 3 months ? and if yes should that be just antibodies test?

Thank you again for your help and have a good day

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
No worries, not really needed, think you are Ok

Detailed Answer:
Hi and sorry for the late response,

I really do not think you will need a further confirmation test, except for routine check up purposes. If it is still within your recent exposure, I am afraid and really doubt you got it. I think it is OK.

I really do not think with this result you need to worry anymore getting other tests for HIV done.
Kind regards,

Dr Bain