What does my transvaginal ultrasound report indicate?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: we had transvaginal ultrasound at 7 weeks and found two other empty gestational sacs ( without yolksac) with irregular margins. one of the empty gestational sac is 16mm and the other 8mm in diameter. what does irregular margins mean? will they dissolve by itself and will they hamper the health gestational sac with the yolksac with a heartbeat?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No risk to developing embryo

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail. I suppose you have tried assisted reproductive techniques. The presence of more than on sac increases the chance of a successful pregnancy till term. As heart beat is present in one o f the gestational sacs with yolk sac, it signifies an ongoing successful pregnancy. The other two gestational sacs without appreciable yolk sacs will do no harm to the one having a yolk sac and heart beat.

Irregular marginated gestational sacs indicate that those sacs may not progress to form a viable pregnancy. However there is no risk to the developing embryo from the gestational sacs without yolk sacs.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 6 hours later
Thank your Dr. for your response. This is not an assisted pregnancy, it was conceived naturally, however in my mother's side there is a history of twinning and this is my first pregnancy. The size of the corpus luteum cyst has become smaller in the 7week scan in comparison with my 5 week scan report; is that an good/bad/expected thing to occur? The sac with the healthy heartbeat has regular margins and good deciduals. The empty sacs are having irregular margins, I'm assuming from your response that those empty sacs will breakaway because of their irregular margins...Am I understanding right? and are those empty sacs causing all the spotting and after these empty sacs vanish, will my spotting stop? thanks
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Corpus luteum decreases by itself with pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Thanks for writing in to us.

The corpus luteum cyst during pregnancy decreases in size and eventually disappears. Therefore it is a normal occurrence which is happening in you. The empty sacs will also get absorbed and disappear with progress in pregnancy leaving the single viable fetus growing. The empty sacs should not be held responsible for causing spotting. Please be alert on the amount and frequency of spotting and keep your doctor informed. If there was anything worrisome about the spotting, it would have been mentioned in your transvaginal scan reports. The spotting usually stops on its own in most women.

Wishing you a happy pregnancy.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 37 minutes later
thanks Dr. one final followup question, before I close this thread; thanks once again for your sincere answers, it did help reduce my anxiety to some extent. From my LMP it was exactly 7weeks and 1 day yesterday, but the gestational age corresponding to the healthy sac per the medscan report is only 6 weeks. why this disparity? is my baby a slow starter and will it catchup over the course of pregnancy term? The heartbeat rate is 121bpm and CRL is 3.4mm and does that sound okay?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Variability in age by 8 days is acceptable

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back to us.

A difference in LMP amd age by ultrasound scan of 8 days is within acceptable limits for you. This happens due to difference in date of your ovulation and slight variability in measurements in early pregnancy. Please do not worry and your baby is not a slow grower. However subsequent scans are important to evaluate the correct age of the baby and many times the difference decreases in the second trimester.

Hope your query is answered.

Dr.Vivek