What does my pap smear test result indicate?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: My pap smear showed pH out of balance and nurse said it could lead to a bacterial infection. Doctor prescribed flagl for a week but the possible side effects and no wine for 10 days makes me not want to take it. I have a glass eevery night at dinner. Do you think since I don't have any symptoms of a vaginal infection that dosage seems high ... Or do I even need it?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Duration of treatment too long and logically not very justified.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It might be very interesting to be sure that the pH abnormality was the only abnormal thing seen in your result sheet. Flagyl could be justified as preventive as such, but the duration for ten days to me sounds too long. In case this were treatment of some identified pathogen, it makes perfect sense. If not, ten days in my opinion is too long. Four tables 5oomg taken as a single dose is sufficient for preventive purposes.

An altered pH might require underlying causes to be checked. Excessive use of antiseptics, infection and diabetes must be carefully excluded.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 19 hours later
I made a mistake--it was 7 days and 2 pills a day of 500 mg. Still seems excessive! Thoughts?

In other words, a total 1000 mg per day for a week.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Still excessive in my opinion

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query and clarification.

As treatment, the dosage and duration of treatment is ok. But as prevention, excessive in my opinion. A single two gram single dosage (four tablets) should be sufficient.

Kind regards as i wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee