Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

What does it mean to have a high resting heart rate? What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 922 Questions
I have been having a problem with resting heart rate that ranges between 100-120 bpm. I also have random episodes while at rest where it goes to 150-160 bpm that last for a few hours; this is very uncomfortable and causes near fainting and shortness of breath. This issue suddenly started one month ago. Prior to this my normal resting heart rate was in the 50-60 bpm range. I have not been able to identify any triggers for these episodes and a stress test, EKG, and echo all proved normal. Even tried Xanax to rule out anxiety (there was no change in HR). At the ER, a chest CT showed evidence of a clot but d-dimer was normal and I was discharged. My GP does not know what to do next. Do you have any suggestions as to my next steps to try and figure this out? This is quite debilitating and I ready to return to normal.
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 5 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.
If the episodes (when heart rate goes higher than 140) begin as a 'bolt from blue' and end after minutes or hours as abruptly these began. You are having episodes of paroxysmal supra ventricular tachycardia (PSVT). Please do not worry these episodes can be controlled with drugs like Verapamil or Diltiazem. ( I read about investigations done, I hope your thyroid function tests too have been done and found normal) These will have to prescribed (by) after a cardiologist or a medical specialist who has knowledge of cardiology has seen you. After you are stable long acting drug can be given. One investigation might be required to document the EKG during the episode and HOLTER is an ideal investigation. Because intermittent atrial fibrillation (especially in view of a clot in your lung artery) remains a differential diagnosis, one which needs to be excluded. Some patients prefer ablation of arrhythmia with radio frequency which is an alternative or at times supplement to drug therapy. If you have any follow up question, I will be most happy to answer. Good Luck.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor