What does an alkaline phosphatase level of 139 indicate?

Dr. Praveen

Posted on Mon, 24 Aug 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have an alkaline phosphatase of 139, my liver is inflamed and hard at times. What is the cause of this?
Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ALP is non-specific

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir.Thanks for your query.

Alkaline phosphatase(ALP) is normally in the range of 25-100 units (varies according to laboratory reference).It suggests of two problems- liver or related to bone.

According to your description I would understand that you are having high ALP due to liver condition.Since high ALP is non-specific for liver disorders I were to evaluate and work up for either of the below mentioned conditions-

-hepatitis (inflammation or infection of the liver)
-cirrhosis (scarring of the liver)
-cholescystitis (inflammation of the gallbladder)
-blockage of bile ducts (from gallstone, inflammation, or cancer)

I would wish to understand what were your presenting complaints and the reason for consult your physician to assist you further.

Please feel free to reach for further queries.

Dr.Praveen