What does an SGPT level of 56 indicate?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello doc. My sgpt is 56. Last year my sgpt was high n my doc has priscribed me ursocol 300. As it was fatty liver. Now do again i have to take ursocol? As i have gained 5/6 kgs too. My hba1c is 6.4
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need not take Irsocol 300 tablets

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

High level of SGPT detected last year suggests some liver disorder may be infective in nature (Hepatitis) and was being prescribed Ursocol 300 .

Since Ursocol is generally prescribed to lower down the cholesterol in bile nd to prevent formation of stone in gall bladder .You may not need to take it now .

As regards fatty liver take fat free diet rich in proteins and vitamins .

Your HbA1C is normal suggestive of non diabetes .

You may repeat the blood test (Liver Function Tests ) now to be rest assured about status of liver function .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 3 minutes later
I am taking onglyza 5 mg for sugar. So as per my attached reports u suggest that i dont have to take any medi to reduce my sgpt level which is 56 n ggt is 55?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HbA1C of 6.4 suggest good diabetis control

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

You have not mentioned in your earlier query that you are diabetic and taking Onglyza 5 mg .

Recent level of HbA1C (6.4) suggest that your diabetes is well controlled and you need to continue taking onglyza 5 mg .

As regards SGPT level of 56 and GGT 55 are slightly higher than normal range I personally think that you may not take Ursocol 300 as it is mainly prescribed for treatment of Gall Bladder stone and to prevent stone formation in gall bladder .It has no role to play in reducing SGPT levels .

The marginally high SGPT and GGT may represent liver disorder of temporary in nature and could be lowered by dietary measures suggested earlier .

Repeat your LFT after 3 months .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 0 minute later
Ok doctor. Thanks .
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
O.K bye andn have a good health

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Have a good health .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.