What does a rash in groin area indicate?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a rash in my groin area and it is super itchy. I can upload a picture if needed.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tinea cruris

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query.

I would keep a possibility of a fungal infection/tinea cruris. Though I would have preferred a photograph to be 100% sure.
Sweating, heat and humidity are the factors which encourage fungal growth in the groin folds.

You have been using triamcinolone acetonide which is a topical steroid and is not recommended for fungal infection/tinea. It may provide some relief from itching but it would actually favor fungal growth.

If I was the treating doctor I would have asked you to use a topical antifungal cream e.g clotrimazole 1% cream, twice daily for 4 weeks.

Along with topical clotrimazole, you may also take an oral antifungal e.g fluconazole 150 mg once every week for 4 weeks. This is a prescription drug and you would need doctor's prescription before you can procure it

An OTC antihistamine e.g cetrizine 10 mg once daily would provide you symptomatic relief from itching.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 minute later
I have attached a photo
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Tinea cruris

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I have seen the photograph.
It is indeed fungal infection of the groin/Tinea cruris