What does a rash in groin area indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
I have a rash in my groin area and it is super itchy. I can upload a picture if needed.
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tinea cruris

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query.

I would keep a possibility of a fungal infection/tinea cruris. Though I would have preferred a photograph to be 100% sure.
Sweating, heat and humidity are the factors which encourage fungal growth in the groin folds.

You have been using triamcinolone acetonide which is a topical steroid and is not recommended for fungal infection/tinea. It may provide some relief from itching but it would actually favor fungal growth.

If I was the treating doctor I would have asked you to use a topical antifungal cream e.g clotrimazole 1% cream, twice daily for 4 weeks.

Along with topical clotrimazole, you may also take an oral antifungal e.g fluconazole 150 mg once every week for 4 weeks. This is a prescription drug and you would need doctor's prescription before you can procure it

An OTC antihistamine e.g cetrizine 10 mg once daily would provide you symptomatic relief from itching.

Follow-up: What does a rash in groin area indicate? 1 minute later
I have attached a photo

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Tinea cruris

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I have seen the photograph.
It is indeed fungal infection of the groin/Tinea cruris