• question-icon

What does a positive report for hepatitis B after vaccination indicate?

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I had my blood test for hep a b and c . Hep a and c were negative but b was positive. However i had my vaccination , should the blood test show postive hep b because I had the vaccine?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it can be positive 14 days after vaccination.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I am a Gastroenterologist and would be answering your query.

As per your question-
Vaccination for HBV can produce transiently detectable levels of HBsAg in patients. However, the time course and duration of this effect is unclear. WHO says that Our study confirms that transient HBsAg positivity can occur in patients following HBV vaccination. The results suggest this positivity is unlikely to persist beyond 14 days post-vaccination.

So in lay mans language test can be positive only till 2 weeks after vaccination.

Hope i answered your query well.
Feel free to follow up.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 24 minutes later
So it should not show positive even though i went to XXXXXXX in march and had my injections in feburary
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again
Ideally it should be negative by now.
Sex with an infected partner is one of the most common cause of transmission.Its 6 times more infectious then HIV.While there is no cure for hepatitis B, more than 90 percent of healthy adults who contract the virus will recover naturally from it within the first year. As you had sex with sex worker in XXXXXXX it can be positive due to viral transmission.

Go for IGM antibody test- IgM antibodies are found mainly in the blood and lymph fluid; they are the first antibody to be made by the body to fight a new infection. Hepatitis B core-specific IgM class antibody has been detected in most acute infections and is a reliable marker for acute disease.

So go for this test and follow up with report.
XXXXXXX is a very poor nation and most of the sex workers are never immunised. So there are chances that i could be due to sex with CSW.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 hours later

in a follow up question :

I have had a blood test for hepititis. I have recieved my results ; Hep A negative Hep b Postive and Hep C negative. I am worried so I had a follow up test however, I have not been vaccinated; so I am abit worried as to why it is positive.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again dear,
As per your history you had sex with CSW in a poor nation.
Hepatitis B virus is highly contagious.
As you were not vaccinated its definitely Hepatitis B.
Now fiorst step should be tou see if its chronic or acute in nature. Treatment would bre decided after that only.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist