What do my CT scan test results indicate?

Posted on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I HAD A CT SCAN OF MY STOMACH AND THE RESULTS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
MY RIGHT KIDNEY HAS A MASS LARGER THAN A CYST WHICH IS 3.1
A SCAR ON MY LEFT LUNG BASE- WHAT IS THIS A POSSIBLE INDICATION OF
A 1.0 CM EXOPHYTIC HYPODENSE LESION ON THE UPPER INTERPOLAR REGION LEFT KIDNEY
AND A SMALL FAT CONTAINING VENTRAL HERNIA UPPER ABDOMEN AND A ADDITIONAL ONES INFERIOR AS WELL AS THE UMBILICUS. ALTHOUGH UNCHANGED FROM PREVIOUS STUDIES.
MY LABS RESULTS :
CHLORIDE 108 ANION GAP 13 CREATININE 0.98 GLUCOSE 101 PROTEIN TRACE

WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN? I WAS GIVEN A REFERRAL FOR A SURGEON

Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload ctscan result.

Detailed Answer:
Good day and thank you for being with healthcare magic! I understand your concern and I would like to see the complete (scanned) result of the ct scan to be able to help you further. A mass is defined as any space occupying lesion in the body and is broadly differentiated whether it is solid or cystic in nature. The things I need to see whether the mass seen in the right kidney is a solid mass or a cystic (fluid filled mass). Also it is very important to know if the mass seen had uptake of contrast material. If it lighted up on ct scan (uptake of contrast) then we could say that it has a malignant potential and needs to be removed by surgery. If there was no uptake then it is a benign lesion and there is no need to remove it because it would not cause any disease or pain. Solid mass are almost always malignant in nature while cystic masses in the kidney are almost always benign and can be observed. I would await for you to upload the result so I will be able to help you further. I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for.

Your blood examinations look normal and the trace protein in your urine is also acceptable and is not a cause for concern.

Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: http://www.HealthcareMagic.com/doctors/dr-manuel-c-see-iv/66014 I would gladly help you. Best wishes.

regards, Manuel See IV
Follow up: Dr. Manuel C See IV 54 minutes later
Good Evening Dr. Manuel: Thank you for responding to me expeditiously. How am I able to let you see a copy of my scan? I was only given the Ct Scan report. Before my Scan I was given a gallon of stuff to drink and XXXXXXX was ran thru my IV. From reading your response in your description of a mass and a cyst is it possible that it is a mass? If so is that why I was referred to a surgeon? Are they going to have to remove my Kidney if it is a mass? Also the reason I went to the ED in the first place was because I had severe pain in my upper abdomen that radiated to my lower right abdomen,nausea and no vomiting or fever. It worsen,is constant which come and goes with severity. The Dr. said there was nothing on the CT Scan associated with my complaint after the results were given and informed that the body has pains that are unexplained. From your response you said my blood work results are ok. What does a high score of Chloride exactly mean? Scarring on the base of my left Lung? and all of the other results from my lab work? Is there something wrong with my lung and Kidneys?
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Report can be uploaded

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the follow up question. You could scan or take a picture of the ct scan results and upload it in the website for me to review it.

If it is a solid mass in the kidney then surgery is needed to remove the mass because it could be cancer. Depending on the location and configuration of the mass if the mass could be removed and the kidney can be saved (partial nephrectomy) or the mass together with the kidney would be removed en bloc (radical nephrectomy).

If there is sign of inflammation in the ct scan then the pain you felt could be attributed to the kidney but i couldnt be certain since my opinion is limited to the information i have via this forum (no physical examination).

A slightly elevated chloride level has no clinical consequence and could be ignored. The scarring in the lungs is a common ct scan finding and may due to a previous lung infection that caused the scarring. Again these are nothing to be concerned with.

Follow up: Dr. Manuel C See IV 3 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.

Thank you DR. XXXXXXX I am clear from your response knowing the difference between the two. I uploaded your the result from the CT Scan Final Report and Lab Reports. I hope this helps you in explaining to me further as to why I was referred directly to a Surgeon and need a Ultrasound and not to a Urologist. I have been currently under the care of my Urologist for a leaky bladder. During that time that was when a cyst initially appeared on a ultrasound. Although I was given a prescription for said the problem still existed. It didn't work and was attributed to my hypertension medication (Lasix and HCT). Prior to me being discharged from the ED I was given the option of being admitted for pain management to see a Surgeon or be discharged and to follow up with the referral of a Surgeon and my Primary Doctor. I also have a large Mass on the left side of my neck. I was told its harmless yet after I had a Cervical Disectomy and fusion with a metal plate 17 months ago my neck, my face and under my chin is larger and appears swollen. Since then I have gained weight 20 lbs. My Dr states I do not have any problems with my Thyroid Gland. Please help
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please make a urologist appointment immediately.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for providing me with your CT SCAN report. I am surprised that the report would state that he recommends an ultrasound given that a CT SCAN with contrast is better in characterizing masses in the kidneys. From what i read since there is increase in attenuation of the renal mass in the right kidney, I would treat it as a solid malignant mass. I urge you to go to your Urologist and show him the CT SCAN report and possibly the CT Plates for proper management. Usually for 3 cms masses a partial nephrectomy could be performed and part of the kidney can be left behind safely.

The cysts in the left kidney looks benign and doesnt need medical attention. You were referred to a surgeon probably because of the ventrial hernias that may or may not be causing your abdominal pain.
Follow up: Dr. Manuel C See IV 1 hour later
Thank you DR. XXXXXXX you are awesome! I clearly understand. I'm sad and afraid but knowledge is a powerful tool with a clear understanding. I know I gave you alot of other things that I'm now questioning regarding the mass in my neck? Should I have that revisited base on what I've explained to you? Or is it from the disc surgery what's causing swelling in my neck and face is this common?

Oh I forgot to mention I see my primary doctor Monday and my Urologist Friday next week it was the soonest they could get me in and the Surgeon thereafter. Should I have taken the first option that the ED offer me instead of excepting the option to leave and scheduled everything as an out patient for all of theses doctor? I looked up the definition of attenuation. Is this really that severe?
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
No difference in option 1 and 2.

Detailed Answer:
With regards to your neck and i have to say this is beyond my specialty and this answer is coming from a non neck specialist. If the swelling is bothering you and it is causing pain and discomfort then i would suggest to see your ortho or an Ent-head and neck specialist. If the swelling is increasing over time then it is not normal. It is better to be safe than be too late.

Attenuation means there is uptake of contrast by the mass. I wouldn't call it severe but it definitely needs medical attention. If it is cancer then i would say that there is a very good chance that it is still Stage I and survival is 90% or more.

Staying in the hospital (choosing the first option) would have save you outpatient visits but wouldnt have matter because you still have time and renal tumors are slow growing tumors.

regards, Manuel See IV
Follow up: Dr. Manuel C See IV 6 hours later
Good Evening Dr. XXXXXXX Thanks you for giving me a clear understanding and breaking everything down for me in laymen term(keeping it simply) Your explanations has allowed me to not be as afraid. I now have the tools and options I need to act upon what needs to be taken care of. I'll be back in contact with you as I'm going this process should I have any more questions. I'm glad to have choose using this site that has given me great ease and will be recommending it to my family and friends. Again Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you are very welcome.

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to be of help and I wish you the best of health.
Dr. Manuel C See IV

Urologist