Is peripheral edema a sign of renal or cardiovascular diseases?

Question
I'm a 30 year old female with no prior health problems. For the last year or so I have had bouts or severe pitting edema in my legs and feet to the point where my feet look like balloons and I can easily press 1 inch+ dents into my shins that remain for several minutes. The swelling does go down sometimes and isn't always severe. It's highly noticeable for at least 2 weeks out of every month. Other times it would not be apparent to a layperson, especially if I take care to elevate my legs and wear compression socks, but it is always apparent to me. I have no been able to see my achilles tendon or the bones of my ankle for a year now due to chronic swelling. I have also been experiencing severe and debilitating joint pain and stiffness, particularly in my knees but in my hands and shoulders as well. The onset of the joint pain was around the same time as the swelling. I know peripheral edema tends to be either a renal or cardiovascular issue and I'd like to find out which one but I don't currently have insurance so I'd like to wait until I have coverage again but the severity of the swelling has me concerned that maybe this is an immediate problem.
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Discussion follows

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
If you don't have breathlessness on exercise or when lying down, the cause of your edema is less likely to be due to a congestive heart failure. You can get a urine examination and serum creatinine done in any lab and it is not expensive.
For the present, reduce your salt and fluid intake and use 40 mg of Lasix in the morning.

Do get back to me if you have further questions.