Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Is peripheral edema a sign of renal or cardiovascular diseases?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1974
Answered : 2184 Questions
I'm a 30 year old female with no prior health problems. For the last year or so I have had bouts or severe pitting edema in my legs and feet to the point where my feet look like balloons and I can easily press 1 inch+ dents into my shins that remain for several minutes. The swelling does go down sometimes and isn't always severe. It's highly noticeable for at least 2 weeks out of every month. Other times it would not be apparent to a layperson, especially if I take care to elevate my legs and wear compression socks, but it is always apparent to me. I have no been able to see my achilles tendon or the bones of my ankle for a year now due to chronic swelling. I have also been experiencing severe and debilitating joint pain and stiffness, particularly in my knees but in my hands and shoulders as well. The onset of the joint pain was around the same time as the swelling. I know peripheral edema tends to be either a renal or cardiovascular issue and I'd like to find out which one but I don't currently have insurance so I'd like to wait until I have coverage again but the severity of the swelling has me concerned that maybe this is an immediate problem.
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Discussion follows

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
If you don't have breathlessness on exercise or when lying down, the cause of your edema is less likely to be due to a congestive heart failure. You can get a urine examination and serum creatinine done in any lab and it is not expensive.
For the present, reduce your salt and fluid intake and use 40 mg of Lasix in the morning.

Do get back to me if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor