• question-icon

What do hypertension, severe nausea and recurrent rashes on the chest indicate?

Posted on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 in GERD
Question: I suffer from hypertension, severe nauteousness (9 or 10 days can't keep down water) and a rash that comes and goes on my chest and neck. Was sick most of my high school years. In and out of the hospital.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Multiple issues

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I think that the hypertension, nausea and rashes are three separate issues. The rashes could be due to an allergic reaction. I would request you to upload image of the affected areas. It will help me to evaluate the condition. Taking some antiallergic like cetirizine or benadryl (or possibly better ones like fexofenadine or loratidine which are prescription medicines) should help. You could also apply some emollient like calamine lotion or some moisturizer like aloe vera lotion. Regarding the hypertension, you need to be on regular medication. Regarding the nausea, it could be due to altered gastrointestinal movements. Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate, stomach acid will reflux into the food pipe, you will feel nauseous and on the other hand the bowel habits would not be proper.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hopefully that should help.

It might take a few days to recover and so you need to be patient.

I would await your response based on which I will guide you further. Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha