What do fatigue, achy muscles and burning sensation in the chest indicate?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Extreme fatigue, achy muscles, burning in chest and seems like a lot of work to breathe deeply. 48 yr old female 128 lbs low to no exercise as a habit no smoking and no drugs
Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pulmonar infection or anemia.

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,
Welcome and thank you for your question.

Muscle aches, fatigue and difficulty of breathing are three symptoms that often present themselves concurrently and are common to a variety of disorders or illnesses. The seasonal flu is the most common cause of this triad of symptoms, but the root of the problem may also be a more serious condition such as bronchitis, pneumonia, viral or bacterial infection or Anemia.
Bronchitis and flu can resolve themselves after some day.
Pneumonia is a serious medical condition that involves inflammation of the tissue of the lungs, making it difficult for your body to inhale oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide effectively. There are many types of pneumonia, and it is most commonly caused by a bacterial infection.
Since you have the burning chest syndrome, you need to check also for a type of Pneumonia called Aspirative Pneumonia because of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux). In this case the acid fluid from the stomach gets upwards and enters to the pulmons producing an infection and the burning syndrome. Normally people know when they have GERD, because then have the strange acid flavour in their mouth.

The last possibility that can give the 3 symptoms is anemia.

I do suggest that you make a blood analysis. Count of the red cells (for anemia), the white cells (for an infection going on) and check for amount of the fe (iron) in your organism.

Then you will rule out one of the diagnoses and get the medicines to treat it. For the infection you should get the antibiotics, and for the anemia you need to make more labs analysis and most of the patient end up getting Iron supplement and Vit. B12.

If you have other question please feel free to post them.

Dr. Eni
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad