Is it safe to use Avelox for blocked ear?

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...around 2 weeks ago i got a very bad cold/cough that was close to being bronchitis, was prescribed myocamin. then my ear got blocked and painful, the doc told me to continue another course of myocamin plus garosone ear drops. i finished the course but my ear is still blocked and it hurts, mostly in the mornings and evenings. now the doc prescribed avelox and some other ear drops as i have to go on a plane in 2 weeks and this problem has been over a week. i don t have any fever. i was reading about avelox and it has some pretty disturbing side effects. i don t know if it is safe to go ahead with this treatment.
Wed, 16 Jun 2021

You had cold 2 weeks ago and presently you are experiencing painful blocked ear that is causing you discomfort. No, do not take Avelox. Avelox, may cause serious side effects. You are suggested to get clinically examined by an ENT as you have to take flight in a few days. If it infection, you will be treated accordingly, if it is due to wax or sinus, you will be given appropriate treatment.

In the meantime, you can take decongestant, one SOS for relief. You can take acetaminophen or Combiflam, one stat after food. Try to clear sinus blockage by taking steam inhalation 3-4 times daily. Easing of sinus blockage in turn can relieve clogged ears. Do not fiddle with your ears, do not touch, pick or scratch. Do not enter into swimming pools, be careful when you take a bath, do not let water enter your ears.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Nupur K., General & Family Physician