Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

What could be causing bleeding after intercourse?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14833 Questions
hi Dr i have a six month daughter and since ever i gave birth when i sleep with my husband i bleed,not a heavy flow but spoted blood and i only see the blood when i urinate after having sex with him,PLEASE ANSWER I DNT HV A CREDIT CARD I ONLY HAVE XXXXXXX PLEASE SHOW SUM KINDNESS
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: the most common cause is an infection Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Bleeding after intercourse can occur for different reasons. The blood that you are seeing in the urine is because of this after intercourse bleeding. The most common causes are: (1) cervicitis- this is inflammation of the cervix. It can occur for various reasons but the most common reason is infection of the cervix (2) changes to the cells of the cervix- if you had a recent pap smear looking for any changes to the cervix, this cause is unlikely (3)vaginitis- this is inflammation of the vaginal area, again this is most commonly related to an underlying infection (4)inadequate lubrication (5)vaginal dryness (6)polyps in the cervix or in the uterus. Polyps are outgrowths that can occur. To determine the cause of the bleeding you would need to be assessed by your doctor. If you have no recent pap smear this would be included as part of the assessment. In addition you would be assessed for any discharge or redness in the vagina or cervix, swabs may be needed. The treatment would depend on the results of the examination and investigations but will likely include antibiotics for a short time. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor