What could be causing bleeding after intercourse?

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: hi Dr i have a six month daughter and since ever i gave birth when i sleep with my husband i bleed,not a heavy flow but spoted blood and i only see the blood when i urinate after having sex with him,PLEASE ANSWER I DNT HV A CREDIT CARD I ONLY HAVE XXXXXXX PLEASE SHOW SUM KINDNESS
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: the most common cause is an infection Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Bleeding after intercourse can occur for different reasons. The blood that you are seeing in the urine is because of this after intercourse bleeding. The most common causes are: (1) cervicitis- this is inflammation of the cervix. It can occur for various reasons but the most common reason is infection of the cervix (2) changes to the cells of the cervix- if you had a recent pap smear looking for any changes to the cervix, this cause is unlikely (3)vaginitis- this is inflammation of the vaginal area, again this is most commonly related to an underlying infection (4)inadequate lubrication (5)vaginal dryness (6)polyps in the cervix or in the uterus. Polyps are outgrowths that can occur. To determine the cause of the bleeding you would need to be assessed by your doctor. If you have no recent pap smear this would be included as part of the assessment. In addition you would be assessed for any discharge or redness in the vagina or cervix, swabs may be needed. The treatment would depend on the results of the examination and investigations but will likely include antibiotics for a short time. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James