What conditions cause vaginal bleeding after menopause?
I am a 64-year-old single female. I have been postmenopausal for a decade or more but had some light vaginal bleeding for 4-5 days. I have a history of uterine fibroids and had a couple removed about 20 years ago as an outpatient. There were more but decision was made to leave them alone. What would have caused the bleeding recently?
USG, Gynec check up. PAP smear, Hysteroscopy, D&C
Hi, Dr Purushottam Neurgaonkar here. I welcome you to HCM VIRTUAL CLINIC. . I have gone through your question, and I think I have understood your concern. I will suggest you the best possible treatment options.
1 ) First of all do not panic.
2 ) As per scientific research any bleeding after menopause needs to be investigated properly to rule out any serious cause like genital tract malignancy. Other causes can be infection, trauma or hormonal changes.
3 ) I usually suggest my patients to get USG done, and a clinical gynecological check up including per speculum and per vaginal examination. Also, if needed PAP smear and endometrial biopsy with diagnostic hysteroscopy will be of help.
4 ) Till then you can get a prescription for Tablet of Tranexamic acid 500 mg and Mefenamic acid 500 mg combination that can be taken up to 3 times a day to control the bleeding.
I hope this answer helps you.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Vaginal bleeding post menopause
- What causes vaginal bleeding
- What causes vaginal bleeding after radical hysterectomy
- What causes vaginal bleeding after sex
- What causes light vaginal bleeding after a hysterectomy
- What causes vaginal bleeding post menopause
- Heavy vaginal bleeding after menopause
- Vaginal bleeding after menopause
- What causes vaginal bleeding after hysterectomy
- Is vaginal bleeding after menopause symptom of cervical cancer