What causes weakness in hands?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015

Question
I have been wondering if the symptoms I have are anything to worry about. At times I have weakness in my hands that make it hard to hold and lift something. The weakness seems to be in the nerves in my hands and the nerve running under my forearm. This lasts only for a very short while. I also get very painful shooting pains all over my body. This only happens sporadically but often enough to make me wonder what this sounds like. Also, I do get muscle pains, once in a while, it will start in one muscle and then after a day or so it will move to another muscle, this may last for two weeks and then disappear for quite a while. Does this sound like all different things, connected to each other, is it nothing, or something to get checked out.
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nervigenic agents + multivitamin & multiminerals

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Regarding the symptoms as mentioned in your post, kindly let us know about the following:
1. Any history of recent illness or injury/trauma to the neck and back?
2. Sensation of pain/ muscle weakness can be due to poor neuro-muscular co-ordination secondary to systemic illness. Is there is significant past history of systemic disease like Diabetes, Hypertension, Thyroid disorder, etc. ?
3. Any recent history of Stress, improper nutrition & lack of sleep?
4. Habit of smoking or alcohol consumption?
5. History of prolonged intake of any medication?

If your answer to the above mentioned questions is "NO", then the symptoms can be attributed to:
1. Entrapment of nerve fibers at the Cervico-thoracic region: sensation of discomfort/ weakness radiating along the arm can be explained on the basis of it.
2. Inadequate hydration status & electrolyte imbalance of the body, or
3. Dietary deficiencies of certain nutrients like Iron, Calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Folic acid, etc. which help in blood formation & nerve conduction.

Symptomatic relief can be obtained by intake of nervigenic agents (like Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Folic acid) as well as multivitamin & multimineral supplements including iron, calcium & Vitamin D needs to be added in your diet.
Physiotherapy & postural exercise will also be helpful.

If symptoms still persist, kindly consult a Neurologist & get a complete Neurological examination done.
Certain investigations like complete blood count, serum electrolyte estimation, fresh estimation of blood pressure & blood sugar levels, lipid profile, Doppler study of upper limbs & nerve conduction studies will be helpful to rule out any pathological cause for the symptoms.
X ray & MRI of Cervico-dorsal spine can also be carried out to detect any nerve entrapment.

Wishing you a Good Health.
Please let me know if I need to clarify further.

Follow-up: What causes weakness in hands? 33 hours later
Hello, again:

Yesterday I provided answers to some of the questions you posed. Did you receive that transmission. If so, can you please tell me what impact any of those conditions described in the answers would have on the diagnosis and what I can do to help myself.

Thank you, again. I really appreciate your help.

Sincerely, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 4 days later
Brief Answer:
Neurological complication of Sjogren’s Syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for your follow up query.

Though I have not received any direct answers to my questions, I have received another transmission (Query id. 126890) in which you have mentioned regarding complaints of dry eyes, dry mouth and dry private parts.

In view of the above, a clinical diagnosis of Sjogren’s Syndrome can be made.
However, confirmation of the diagnosis will need certain investigations to detect the auto-antibodies in blood.
The symptom of muscle weakness and shooting pain is attributed to Neurological complication of Sjogren’s Syndrome, i.e. Peripheral neuropathy.
This needs to be managed with Nervigenic agents, in addition to immuno-suppressive agents or cortico-steroids for treatment of the underlying cause, i.e. Sjogren’s Syndrome.

Kindly consult a Rheumatologist/ Immunologist for proper clinical examination & start treatment as advised.

Wishing you a Good Health.