• question-icon

What causes vomiting after eating food in an infant?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi doctor,

My 2 year old son has been vomitting everything he eats or drinks and this has happened 5 times since last 4-5 hours. However, i dont think he has any fever and has been quite a bit active (little dull compared to usual).

Please let me what is happening to him and what can be done to ease his situation.

Best regards,
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like a prodrome of viral diarrhea

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

By what you quote I feel that your child is having a prodrome of viral diarrhea which will initially start with vomiting and later on proceed to have diarrhea.

Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

For vomiting I suggest you use Ondansetron... but it is a prescription drug and you will need a prescription for it.

If there is diarrhea - I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 8 minutes later
Thank you doctor. Ill get the medicines you have suggested and will keep it hydrated with water and ORS or coconut water.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please get back if you need any further assistance

Detailed Answer:
Hi....I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link. Please find the link below -

www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology