• question-icon

Suggest cure for stomach cramps & nausea

My 2 1/2 year old has been sick for 3 days. She ws throwing up the whole first day, then she was prescribed Zofran and she didn t throw all all the 2nd day. She is out of the medicine and throwing up again. She is having bad stomach cramps (she cries alot). She hasn t had a wet diaper all day again. She had a few wet diapers the second day after she started taking the zofran. She can t keep anything down and we have done the tsp of liquid every once in awhile. What should I do? The on call doctor told me to do what I am already doing, but my baby is in alot of pain.
Wed, 19 Jun 2019
Pediatrician, Pulmonology 's  Response

It seems your kid is having viral diarrhea. Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

There is no need to use antibiotics unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic-associated diarrhea.

I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops) & ORS as hydration is a very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as prescribed by your pediatrician).

Regarding diet - Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea. You can give zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician, Pulmonology