Suggest dosage for Crocin syrup to treat fever in a child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: My 2 year and 7months girl child is suffering from Fever (102 degree). Her weight is around 16kg. she had vomiting once at around 5:35PM. She is also feeling a bit down in terms of energy.
I have Crocin syrup for children. Please suggest dosage.
Also please suggest further course of action.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dose mentioned

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

The dose for Crocin 250mg/5ml is 5 ml per dose to be given as per requirement. Be sure to give her ORS (Oral rehydration solution) to replenish the lost fluids and salts. You may give some antiemetic like Ondansetron.

Wait and watch. It is likely to last for 2-5 days.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 8 minutes later
What's the meaning of " as per requirement"? At what interval I should give Crocin. I have Crocin 120mg/5ml. She is also not interested to take any foods/ milk.
Brief Answer:
Dose mentioned

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. She needs to be given 10 ml of Croccin 120 mg / 5 ml if the temperature is greater than 100°F. The dose can be given every four to six hours if necessary but not routinely (only to be given if temperature is raised).

I understand that she is not interested in taking feeds. Do not force feed her but try to give her something.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 hours later
Her temperature is 102.5 degree right now and I gave her 10ml. I think, she might be suffering due to cold. The weather has been changed in XXXXXXX and cold has been increased too.
Is there any other suggestions would you like to give.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use tepid sponging

Detailed Answer:
Most often such symptoms including croup are due to viral infections. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Such infections are usually associated with an allergic component and giving Montair LC Kid (Monteleukast + Levocetirizine, prescription medicine) should help. Cetirizine is an over the counter alternative that can also be given instead.

If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated. If the respiratory rate is greater than or equal to 40 breaths/min you would need to take her to a doctor for the possibility of underlying pneumonia. If the rate is lesser, you need not worry.

You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion and thereby the cough. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief.

Give Crocin or paracetamol to bring down the temperature. Also, give tepid sponging. Personal hygiene is important.

Please be patient. It may take a few more days before recovery occurs.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee