Suggest preventive medication for vomiting, fever, cough, cold and loose stools while travelling

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
My daughter is approx. 1 year old.
We are planning a trip with her this month. Would like to know the medicines which we should keep for her as this would be her first trip so we are not sure how she will behave. We want to know the medicines for her for following things to keep with us in case required:

1. Vomiting
2. Fever
3. Cough and cold
4. Loose motions

Anything else which you can suggest in general. Thanks.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
List provided

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The following medicines would be of help:
* Syr Ondem (ondansetron) for vomiting
* Syr Sumol (paracetamol) for fever
* Atarax Drops (Hydroxizine) for cough and cold
* Pedialyte or ORS (oral rehydration solution) for loose motions.
* Colicaid Drops for incessant cry which could occur due to colics.

If you could mention the body weight I could suggest the doses.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 58 minutes later
Hi Doctor,
Her weight was 9.6 KGs 10 days back at the time of her vaccination.

Please suggest the doses. Also, we had Sinarest AF drops and calpol drops with us which were suggested to her when she had cough and fever 2 months back. Can we use them as well for cough and fever? We had put them in refrigerator since then.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dose mentioned

Detailed Answer:
* Syr Ondem (ondansetron) 2.5 ml when needed for vomiting
* Syr Sumol (paracetamol) 1.5 ml per dose if there is fever
* Atarax Drops (Hydroxizine) 1ml thrice daily for 4-5 days for cough and cold.
Sinarest AF is an alternative to Atarax. One of the two can be used. You can use Sinarest AF if you have it.
* Pedialyte or ORS (oral rehydration solution) sip by sip frequently for loose motions.
* Colicaid Drops 1ml when needed for incessant cry.