• question-icon

    What causes upper right back pain?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: I've just noticed a lump on the left side of my rib cage just below where the ribs flare out. It is painful to the touch. I also have upper right back pain that comes and goes. I've had my gallbladder removed. I have also been feeling nauseous for the last couple of weeks and very tired all of the time. Additionally I have some stomach pain on and off too. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible Hiatal hernia - will need confirmation with an Ultrasound or more.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concerns.

All these may be problems unrelated or related with each other.
I can give some possible causes and diagnoses, but the best thing to do is to do a thorough physical exam by a local doctor and then further testing and imaging tests needed.

With the information I have, I think the most possible causes can be a hiatal hernia which means that a part of the stomach has gone though the diaphragm which would explain the nausea, the stomach discomfort and the back pain. An abdominal ultrasound would diagnose it.
If that is not the right diagnoses with the physical exam can be understood more what the consistency and the derivation of the lump is and with the ultrasound it can be confirmed too.

I advise that you take Omeprazole 20mg, 1 tb once/day before food, until you set an appointment with the local doctor. It will help with the nausea, stomach pain and hopefully the back pain.
Try to avoid foods that are acidic or greasy.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications or if you have other questions or concerns.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 59 minutes later
Thank you. I also experience some pain on my right side and back as well and I've noticed that my urine seems foamy. I get sweaty on and off. I feel like I'm falling apart.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need a thorough evaluation. You have a lot of problems.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the extra information.
As I said you need a thorough evaluation. A complete blood count would rule out general problems. Then other labs would understand what is going on.

The sweat is not a good sign if it is not related with the temperature changes and if it not something you have had before.
Also the urine should get checked for infection or other elements like proteins, crystals, ect.

I hope this is a bit helpful.

Kind regards,
Dr. Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Answered by
Dr. Klarida Papaqako

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2010

Answered : 1614 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Rib cage

doctor1 MD

I have swelling with a pea sized mass just below the right rib cage. I am 48 yrs old, 5 9 and weight about 184. If I touch the area,move just right...

doctor1 MD

My left rib cage is protruding; saw a breast surgeon who wasn t concerned. Had a chest xray and nothing showed. It is not painful; however, it is...

doctor1 MD

My 11 year old daughter is having a constant pain just below her rib cage on her right side. This started after she was at basketball practice,...

doctor1 MD

Hello, I m 18 and I m a smoker. I ve been smoking for two years and I m not proud of that. Today I ve had some sharp pains in my right rib cage and...

doctor1 MD


doctor1 MD

I have a stinging sensation under my skin in the abdominal area from bottom of the rib cage basically all over the abdomen. Fluctuates during the...

doctor1 MD

I have a very sudden and sharp pain under thr left side of my rib cage which worsens with a deep breath and while laying down. Has been coming and...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

163 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Klarida Papaqako
  • Q - What causes bulge around rectal area that appears post exercise?

  • Q - Suggest tests to diagnose herpes infection

  • Q - What causes difficulty in losing weight while suffering from blood clot...

  • Q - Can Hydroxycut be taken daily along with Metformin?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for torn achilles tendon and nerve pain on left foot

  • Q - Can Clindamycin cause tendon rupture?

  • Q - What causes tender lesions on back spreading towards breast?

  • Q - What is low body temperature defined as?

  • Q - How long does Morphine remain in the body?

  • Q - What causes fever, cough and strange sound while breathing?