• question-icon

What causes upper right back pain?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: I've just noticed a lump on the left side of my rib cage just below where the ribs flare out. It is painful to the touch. I also have upper right back pain that comes and goes. I've had my gallbladder removed. I have also been feeling nauseous for the last couple of weeks and very tired all of the time. Additionally I have some stomach pain on and off too. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible Hiatal hernia - will need confirmation with an Ultrasound or more.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concerns.

All these may be problems unrelated or related with each other.
I can give some possible causes and diagnoses, but the best thing to do is to do a thorough physical exam by a local doctor and then further testing and imaging tests needed.

With the information I have, I think the most possible causes can be a hiatal hernia which means that a part of the stomach has gone though the diaphragm which would explain the nausea, the stomach discomfort and the back pain. An abdominal ultrasound would diagnose it.
If that is not the right diagnoses with the physical exam can be understood more what the consistency and the derivation of the lump is and with the ultrasound it can be confirmed too.

I advise that you take Omeprazole 20mg, 1 tb once/day before food, until you set an appointment with the local doctor. It will help with the nausea, stomach pain and hopefully the back pain.
Try to avoid foods that are acidic or greasy.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications or if you have other questions or concerns.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 59 minutes later
Thank you. I also experience some pain on my right side and back as well and I've noticed that my urine seems foamy. I get sweaty on and off. I feel like I'm falling apart.
Brief Answer:
You need a thorough evaluation. You have a lot of problems.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the extra information.
As I said you need a thorough evaluation. A complete blood count would rule out general problems. Then other labs would understand what is going on.

The sweat is not a good sign if it is not related with the temperature changes and if it not something you have had before.
Also the urine should get checked for infection or other elements like proteins, crystals, ect.

I hope this is a bit helpful.

Kind regards,
Dr. Papaqako
Dr. Klarida Papaqako